Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kniesley Console - Yes or No? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kniesley Console - Yes or No?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-08-2002 03:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard some nice things about Kniesley's console. Mainly that it is a simple, well-made thing.

I've got a new complex about to pop up in a couple of years and I'm getting my wish-list together.

Tell me what you think about Kniesley's "elegant, well-made" console (sorry, I don't have a model # but it's probably for a 2000W application) and I'd also like to hear recommendations for brand-new lamp house consoles for someone who needs to get good light on a budget (but who's tired of buying used).

BTW, these will getting the CA-21 automation put into them...don't know if that makes a difference.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 11:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they are all that well made too many bad ampmeters, breakers etc
there are many better made consoles out there
Kinoton and cinemecanica are my recomendation

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A better choice would be the Strong Super Highlight 2 console. Very rugged and well designed.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-08-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first choice would be the Strong Super Highlight 2 console. As Ken said, they are rugged and well designed.

My second choice would be the Christie SLC Consoles. I am running five of those in Stanwood. I have gained alot of respect for them. They just seem to be a very good piece of equipment, well built, well-designed, and extremely reliable.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first choice would be a Christie Console & second would be Strong Highlight II, third would be Kinotone & Cinemeccanic, if I had to pick one, as far as a pedestal Lamphouse, Hands down would be the Strong Super Lumex, I prefer the regular High Rect. type over the switcher type, due to many problems with the switcher type going down & can not be repaired in the field, the older type high rect. is much better to repair in the field....

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but he's on a budget. How do they compare in pricing?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-08-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie SLC all the way! Strong as a second option. I hear great things about the Kinoton lamphouses, but I've never seen one in action as no one around here buys them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Kneisley can be a good deal depending on the price you pay your dealer for them. I have sold well over a hundred of them in past years and considering the inexpensive construction they use in the AC sub system they really do perform nicely. Their rectifiers have the lowest ripple and inrush of any units that I've measured(with my ORC ripple/inrush meter) so with proper ventallation you can expect excellent bulb life. The mirror is very, very good, but there are problems with breakers, meters, and sometimes AC wireing burning up in them. The rectifier also draws substantially more operating current than most units of the same size!!

Of course many of these problems are very smilar to those problems found in older Christie and Strong consoles. Paul and I hauled a Strong Super Highlite up into a booth a few weeks ago that replaced a Christie 2kw console whos back end had completely turned to charcoal. The used Highlite was cheaper than the Christie plenum kit which was out of stock and unavailable at the time anyway.
One MUST take the VERY high part replacement cost into account for either Kinoton or Shakemeccannicca when specing out any booth. Their parts prices are quite out of normal range! For general purpose use up to 2.5kw, the Strong X-90 is my long time favorite, especially as it has plenty of room to integrate a full digital sound system into it. It also has a very nice AC subsystem making booth wireing much simplified.
The first important note to consider in any project is "shop around for the best price!"
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Kinoton and Cinemecanica parts are not all that expensive nor is the price of the equipment not any more than Strong or Christie
The Cinemecanica consoles can produce a terrificly good light
Have had too much grief with Kniesly's wireing and meters failing
As for there rectifiers I know several that have better inrush/filtering. I have never noticed exceptional bulb life with them and often a seperate and flacky boost kit is needed for them as well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
Boost kit??? Thats new to me.....
You don't consider US $1180.00 expensive for Shakemeccannicca 1600 watt reflector? I do, and thats not the suggested list price either.
Hey Larry, Whats list price on a replacement Kinoton reflector??
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Kniesly rectifiers have too low of no load voltage and a boost kit is required to get reliable ignition Just installed a bunch of them and was not impressed
Have never had to replace a reflector in a horizontal cinemecanica product. As for the verticle glass one try getting any glass reflector for a verticle lamphouse cheap or one for an X25

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had to install a boost kit in any Kneisley product. Perhaps you had the taps set wrong, or your hydro is having probems. I think Steve K. would back me up that they are decent consoles for the price, we had almost 0 trouble with them. We have alot of KNeisley lamoshouses and rectifiers out here in Utah and they all work fine! I guess it only happens in Canada...or perhaps the boost kit is made up there .
Mark @ GTS

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 10:04 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use many Kniesly consoles. The main weak point is the 3-phase breaker in front. If you tighten the connections every 6 months, that seems to help. We have only put 2 diodes in approx. 70-80 units. Reflectors seem to hold up well. There seems to be some rumors around about upcoming parts availability. Not the perfect unit, but very good for its' price range. Also, check electrical codes for UL or similar rating as I don't believe Kniesly has UL sticker.

Andy Bergstrom

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had many that required a boost kit especially some of the early 3 phase units with the newer lamps
Also the UL issue is a big point nothing Kniesly builds gets close to there requirements

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 02:48 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love most Kneisely products, but worry about whether they will be around to supply replacement parts for much longer. Their staff has dwindled (and they don't do any more designing...the little bit of the company that is left simply builds and ships orders), and I don't think they have been to a trade show it quite a while.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: