Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mediocrity is King

Author Topic: Mediocrity is King
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-07-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting a new thread based on the discussion in "THX Sold" which was getting a bit off topic.

Kodak has ScreenCheck which helps theaters improve their presentation in just about every aspect, with most of the attention on picture quality. But theaters don't seem to taking to this program very well.

I am not surprised at all. It is really sad. It's not like Kodak is just going in and saying "You suck! Fail!" and then running away with gobs of cash. They want to help improve what is wrong. But unfortunately most theaters think they are doing nothing wrong, and resent any suggestions on how anything could be improved. Why is that? Where do attitudes like that come from? Are the basic standards of the average human being too low? I hope I don't sound elitist but I am genuinely curious how mediocrity is allowed to shine. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-07-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason is probably simple: the goal of (most) theatre owners is to maximize profits. Presumably someone gives some consideration to the cost of "film done right" and the expected increase in revenue that would result and has come to the conclusion that the costs are not justified by the expected increase in attendance.

Personally, I think that this point of view is shortsighted and that--with or without the "seal of approval" from THX or Kodak or someone else--theatre which maintain high standards of picture and sound quality and which are well managed are the ones that will succeed over the long term, while poorly managed or poorly equipped theatres will suffer. Even if the average customer doesn't understand _why_ he usually enjoys his experiences at Theatre A over those at Theatre B, he will generally prefer to patronize the theatre which provides the better experience. Of course, this is less of an issue in non-competitive markets, but even then people are likely to attend more often if they enjoy their experiences. Even terrible movies can be fun experiences in the right environment.

It seems that my point of view differs from that of most of the major theatre chains in the US, but I will point out that their business models haven't (for the most part) worked out very well, either, lately.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The average cinema goes does not give a chuff.

Today for example I was in an SRD auditorium, the entire show was in SR. Did anyone appart from me give a s**t?

nope.

Your average cinema goer:

"If I can hear the sound and see a picture it is ok"

(the sound maybe analog in a digital auditorium, it may be too loud or too quiet, the picture may have fading at one or more sides of the screen and the framing may not be perfect, there could be scratches on the print. A fire exit sign may be shining on the screen, the main door to the auditorium may be left open allowing extra light into the auditorium.)

In a multiplex today. The popcorn and coke is more inportant that what goes on in the auditorium. *shrugs*

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-08-2002 12:09 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately this is a product of our dumbing down, medocre-ing down of America, where getting away with "the least that can pass" is acceptable. You will find this rampant in almost every industry. When I first started in this business, I walked into my first commercial theatre and was handed the chain's manual which was the size of novel and which they called The Bible. It had page after page of what was expected of employees, of incredible minutia of every bit of the operation, down to how the stantons were to be polished and placed in a certian pattern, how the 1 sheets were to be arranged in chronlogical order of the playdates, how the bathrooms were never to have rolls of toilet paper that was less than an inch from the core of the roll, to how every staff was to wear their uniform with their brass name plate displayed on the breast pocket, how the curtain was supposed to be closed and opened by the ushering staff necessary should the theatre not have a motor. At the time I thought, geez, these guys are STRICT. How I wish those details were thought to be important today.

Did mangagement and the chains have any less desire to make money in 1969 as they do today? Wasn't their goal the same as it is today-- maximize profits? I can't imagine that it wasn't; I just think in those days, in addition to the profit margin, there was a sense of pride in the work that came down from the top of the corporation. Today, corporations are sold and bought sometimes on a weekly basis, and by conglomerates that many times have no connection with the movie business. There is no continuity and no vision from the top. The conglomerate isn't some guy sitting in a big office with a fat cigar barking orders on how his theatres were to be run and if he walked into one with his wife or mistress and saw a "naked screen" (as the bible called it), a few people's heads would role. He might have been a miserly, penny pinching CEO, but he was in the THEATRE BUSINESS. Today he's replaced by the conglomerate, more than likely located overseas whose main busness might be running parking lots (one time when Kenney owned Warners and some funeral chain!). Where can the vision come from in such an corporate environment? They talk about corporate culture in the FBI and CIA. There is no culture in these conglomerates.

And as I said, this depressing, pervasive, "whatever we do is 'good enough'" attitude is painfully evident in everything from fast food eatery personnel attitudes who get orders wrong 1 out of every 3 times (I've been keeping track) and even big supply companies which can't fill simple orders. We never had trouble placing orders years ago to reputable companies. Now, I am actually surprised and consider it a great success story that an order comes in EXACTLY as I placed it. At this very moment I am looking at five boxes of expensive UPS units that need to go back to a major electronics supplier because a $2000 order was double-shipped. That NEVER used to happen before. It is a fact of life today.

So, yes all the things we can point to that make showmanship and presentation, and all the rest of all those small things that have become less than our expectations, aren't relegated to the film industry. Not that this is an excuse, just an observation, and maybe a round-about way of saying, don't expect to see it get better any time soon.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy, but I kind of like the idea of a manual curtain that someone on the floor would have to open as the projectionist starts the show.
It would make it seem like the show was being presented by someone rather than just starting at some point.
That person would also be in the auditorium just as the show starts to do a little QC.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what needed to be done in one of the theatres in the Interstate chain that had this manual. I saw this in a number of theatres, inclucing the present theatre I work at, before we got a motor in the early 80. In all these settups, there was either an intercom or as in the case of my theatre, a simple box on the wall with two indicator lights - red: CLOSE and green: OPEN. On the projectionist's control panel, he just pushed a button; the usher or stagehand was the motor. We finally installed a feedback button so that the curtain puller could let the projectionist know that he was there -- there were too many times where the show would start, the projectionist would push the OPEN button and nothing would happen -- picture playing on the curtain. After a few of those, we realized that people are nice to have around, but motors are more reliable.

Some of our stagehands were sorry to see the motor installed, though. They seemed to like doing the curtain gig.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-10-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, it would have to be a low self-esteem on the part of those customers who accept substandard product. They ought to demand more refunds as this is the only way to force the offending service provider to achieve and/or maintain a higher standard.

------------------
~Manny.

"The brown acid that is circulating around is not specifically too good."

-- An announcement in the film, "Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music."

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 05:58 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two things happen when a film is presented poorly:

1) Depending on the situation and/or the audience member's personality, a refund will be requested.

2) The patron will not return to that theatre.

The latter of the two is the most dangerous. No record, no complaint, just one less patron regularly visiting that theatre. That's the fear about D-Cinema... that if the audience is not impressed, it will not return. Cutting corners usually means cutting quality. Without the combination of a projectionist that cares and the ScreenChecks, the TAPs, and you better believe it, the Dolbys, pushing for better, quality presentations... the bar would never get raised.

If you build it, they will come. But if you don't build it right, they won't come back.

Yours, Ted

Ted Costas
Director
Dolby Distributor Services

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
WELL SAID!!! Sadly, most people in charge do not understand that the typical customer will just leave with a bad taste in their mouths and not return. If a customer has been patronizing a theater for months or years and gets a bad show, they will almost always understand that "shit happens" and return. If it happens on their first visit, they will generally not be back. This is why I hate to see theaters rush and "don't worry about it, let's just get open". They are killing their future business all in greed for that first weekend's grosses, when they SHOULD push things back one extra week and open right.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted, you are so right. One of Kodak's Film Notes has an article
entitled, I believe, ''KEEP THEM COMING BACK". Everyone should
read it.

Carl King

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 02:10 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To illustrate said point. I was lead projectionist at a grand old gothic monstrosity that had a decent picture but horrible audio. The owners had a comment/suggestion book in the lobby. Every third or fourth patron comment complained about the audio. Managements response to this...Why, remove the book of course!

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The cafeteria staff is complaining about the mice in the kitchen. I
want to hire a new staff"
--Lunch Lady Doris, "Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part One" (2F16)

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 04:44 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that the bean counters have taken over. Decisions are no longer made by someone who cares about the product, they are made by someone who only sees the bottom line right now, this moment, with no thought of the future. I remember the American car companies back about 25 years ago, started cutting corners inorder to make more profit. This caused their cars to be crap, and people stoped buying them, then they had NO profits, and almost went out of business. They found out that their product has got to be the most improtant thing in their business. It is a real shame that other businesses are not smart enough to learn from the American car makers mistakes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: