Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » High Speed FilmGuarding (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: High Speed FilmGuarding
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 12:14 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I run a lot of older film, generally only once or twice, so I have my Kelmar film cleaner mounted on my Kelmar winding table, and clean the films in advance of the showing. As of yet, I have only run film though it slowly, simulating projector speed. Of course, the question comes to mind, how fast can I go before I am going to fast for FilmGuard to be applied effectively.

/Mitchell

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell: Brad will undoubtedly repudiate what I'm about to say, but here goes. I value Film-Guard as much to hide base scratches and "wet gate" as I do to clean, and I routinely "pre-apply" the product at speeds of 500' / minute with handheld moistened cleaning cloths. The results are highly satisfactory to me and I've had no mishaps. From the color of the cloths after application there is clearly a good deal of cleaning going on, and I get about six months of scratch-free "glowing" projection of a typical print after application. As I said, however, don't look for this answer on the instruction sheet!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Overapplication is *almost* a non-issue with acetate film stock. It's polyester film stock that you want to be careful about not overdoing it. That being said, since you do not have to wait for the cleaner to evaporate before it is wound back up (since spotting is a non-issue), you can wind at a pretty good speed. 3-5X normal projection speed is ok, but I do recommend for the best results that the first and second pass be done no faster than 2X-3X projection speed.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 02:50 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks...

/Mitchell

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone that has been studying this very subject (film guarding/cleaning on a Kelmar rewind bench)....

I have done some extensive tests (and am still testing on the quest of perfect presentation).

How fast you go is not as big an issue as you might think. I have varied the speed of the rewind bench from about 15% to about 50% (using 4500' reels with 8" hubs) to try and induce a scratch...so far, safe at 50% out to about a 21" diameter pack (the film is booking through the cleaner). I run it slower because _I_ am not comfortable with it at that speed. My policy has been 20% on the first pass (the application pass) and 30% thereafter until fresh media/film-guard is applied.

The liklihood of scratching, I have found, is a function of the cleaner vintage (old chain drive vs new newer machined gear drive) and the media itself. The older cleaners are more fussy about which media will yeild scratch free results. This is true for on the rewind bench, on the platter or on the projector cleaner mounting.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 07:55 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I am buying currently does not have any form of media cleaners. I am concerned that I won't have the funds right away to equip 3 booths with new media cleaners. So, by reading the above comments, do I understand that it will still help if I apply FilmGuard on my rewind bench when I build the print? This would be a great help.

I have been away from a booth for 11 years, when I left we were still running reel to reel and carbon arcs. So any help with all this "new" stuff is greatly appreciated.

------------------

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-12-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kara,

It will cost you around $500 to get one unit and film guard, and possible three additional brackets.

Use the cleaner on build up, and rotate the cleaner through the week as the prints run. It will give you impeccable performance and your customers will notice.

I would sell blood if I had to to get the cleaner. In a theater, you really can't live without it, and still have great presentation.

Customers don't notice when its perfect, and dont say anything until it starts to suck...

And they notice when it sucks!

Dave

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-12-2002 12:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a chance to use FilmGuard at my place yet (I'm working on that but there are "issues"), so please forgive my ignorance. Some questions for those of you applying FilmGuard during print buildup:

I take it you're applying during rewind, after making up onto a 6k reel? Or is it OK to apply to each reel as you're building/inspecting?

And I take it that two passes/applications are needed? Like once during building (if that's OK), and again during rewind?

Cheers!

Paul
Still hobbling around the booths, faster every day
Crown Neonopolis 14
Sin City, NV USA

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-13-2002 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to my current us at the Uptown, yes, it is applied on the rewind bench when the print is rewound. Since I do Film-Guarding, and since I work on Saturdays only, the 2nd show of the day is what gets to see the first application. One advantage of doing it on the rewind is that the streaking isn't nearly as noticable as when the FG is applied immediately before projection between the payout platter and projector). The film is then cleaned/FGed on every show thereafter.

As to a platter theatre such as yours, most people clean their film while showing the movie. That is, you should either have a platter mount (Crown's standard) or a projector mount film cleaner bracket.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 01:50 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll probably all blanch at this, the crazy amateur abusin' the product, but this works for me.

I hand apply FilmGuard to 16mm prints for the wet-gate properties and scratch protection, and the best way I have found, if you don't have a Kelmar machine, is as follows.

I thread up the film on the rewinds with a high rewind tension, using a split reel as the takeup reel. I give each side of the film pack about two full spray shots of FilmGuard, spreading it as evenly as possible. Then I spray one shot onto a coffee filter, fold the coffee filter once around the film as it passes through the rewinds, and hold the filter between three fingers, so that the wetted paper contacts both side of the film evenly as it passes through. Filter paper is lint-free, great at absorbing dirt, and, when saturated with FilmGuard, it's so slippery that it won't scratch the film. Coffee filters are also about as dirt cheap a cleaning media as you will ever find.

Next I wind the film onto the takeup reel. I probably wind at 5X projection speed. The filter paper acts as a buffer, evenly spreading the FilmGuard onto both sides of the film. I watch the filter paper and when it starts to get dirty, I refold it to expose clean paper to the film.

Once the film is completely wound tightly onto the split reel, I separate the split reel and wipe both sides of the cored film with a clean, dry cloth to absorb any excess FilmGuard that may have been squeezed out during the wind.

I let it sit for a little while at this point, to allow the FilmGuard to dissolve the dirt, but I don't know if that is really necessary.

Next, I rewind the film back onto the original reel, using a new, coffee filter slightly moistened with FilmGuard. This is where the dirt really comes off. If Im still getting dirt on the second pass, I'll sometimes make more passes, until the coffee filter comes out clean.

Once the film is rewound, it's ready for projection. Did I say CLEAN? The base scratches disappear. The dirt is gone. Unless the film has emulsion scratches, the image is generally about as close to perfect as you can get. I LOVE the stuff. The only problem I've ever had is that the sprayer mechanism died halfway through the bottle, and I had to replace it. Other than that, no problems at all. It even smells nice.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: Your technique with the coffee filters isn't that far from what I've been doing. If my free supply of Webril Wipes ever dries up (no pun intended) I'll give it a try. Brad is probably shaking his head, grinding his teeth, muttering under his breath, and cringing all at the same time, but if he refrains from bashing us I guess we're OK.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely bizarre application techniques, but if they work, then they work.

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmguard is also great for cleaning up old film for frame scans.

Here's a dirty, worn frame from an unknown silent movie on kodak 1917 stock:

A quick wipe on both sides with a filmguard wetted cotton ball ...

Ahh! Much better.

Afterwards, I wiped off the filmguard with fast-drying film cleaner.

BTW, anyone recognize any of the actors?

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 11:52 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fairly nice IB print of West Side Story, however reels 1-4 are vinegared and when I got the print they were warped beyond use. So I wound reels 1-4 as tight as possible onto a 6K reel, put it in a plastic garbage bag and poured on probably half a bottle of film-guard. Yes I am a big goof but after letting it sit there for a few weeks I pulled out the reel, wound it onto another 6K and let it sit a few more weeks. I did this two more times once emulsion in, the other emulsion out.

Then I wound it back onto 2000' reels and ran it through the Kelmar to clean it up. Although there is a sleight warp to the first few hundred feet of reel one,(the overture) the rest of the warping is gone and I am very happy with the results.

Of course the vinegar is still there and I keep these four reels seperate from the rest of the print.

That's my funky FilmGuard experiment.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-26-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too once had the wonderful time of working with a vinegared print. I first soaked each reel and tied them up in a garbage bag overnight. Then the next day I ran them by hand through this little device I built that basically runs the film slowly through a small vat of filmguard. Then wound up the reels and let them soak for two days.

The results were amazing. The day before projection we ran each reel seven times through a series of cloth rags (no cleaner availabe to us at the time). When the print hit the screen that night for preview, it was friggin amazing. Not a speck of dust or a scratch in site.

As for the vinegar, it was faint but not too noticable after the film guard. The reason we didn't just get a different copy was that this particular film had no other copies available at the time and we did not want to cancel the showing if we didnt have to.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: