Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Soundtrack Format (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Soundtrack Format
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any free site(s) on the internet that lists whether a film is Dolby A or Dolby SR. The Dolby site only lists whether it was Dolby (not the type).

/Mitchell

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-07-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, I have not known of Dolby "A" prints that have been produced in years. If there were, they are far and few in between.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a particular film in mind, then open a thread in the 'Feature info' forum and I’m sure someone will try to help.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby SR came about when, around 1997? (I'm sure someone will answer that definitively.) Anything before that will automatically be A. Generally though if it says "stereo" or "dolby stereo" on the leaders, it's A noise reduction. If it's SR, it will ALWAYS say "SR" on the leaders. The problem of course comes during the days of dual inventory where a theater may have gotten two prints, one in SR and the other in A. Few people pay attention to which set of cans they are breaking a certain print into.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dolby SR came about when, around 1997?

Um 1987 Brad?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine that used to run screening rooms for Dolby told me that running a Dolby A print with SR format on the processor will not sound noticeably different than running it with the specific Dolby A format. That being said, when in doubt, just run the film in SR.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, if your friend in fact said that...then he is a fool and I don't care who he is. The two noise reductions are dramtically different and in particular, the SR has a narrow right vs wrong tracking. If either the NR or the media is a little off, SR will show it more dramatically.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, somehow, I knew that you would jump on me for that one. He did say it, but I certainly don't doubt your knowledge. However, in a case when you really can't figure out if you have a Dolby A or SR track (either by examining leaders or listening to a bit of the track), which is the better format to use? In other words, What is the lesser of the two evils, running A in SR or running SR in A?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would sound better to play a SR print in A type than a A type in SR but better to just get it right

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to determine whether a track is SR or A (without the aid of labeled leaders or listening to the quality of reproduction in both formats) by examining the track itself? Are there telltale signs that could give you clues as to what it might be?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
none

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I meant sometime around 1987. Typo. Anyone know the exact year?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-07-2002 09:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first movie I was specifically aware of being in SR was U2's concert film "Rattle And Hum". That was 1988. Had to be very close to that date, maybe 1987 as Brad suggested.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-07-2002 11:33 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In those early days, they would double inventory A and mono prints, because Dolby's position, correctly, was that playing back A prints without Dolby A N/R will sound like dog doody. Anyone in a recording studio will attest to this: playing back either a Dolby A tape without N/R or playing a non-A tape with A noise reduction switched on will be obviouly "way wrong," even to the layman's ears. Yet when the studios started to balk at the chaos that always ensues with double-inventories, Dolby quietly backed away from their original stance and pretty much let the studios send A prints to theatres without any cinema processors at all, dropping double inventories.

BUT for some reason, playing N/R prints without any N/R doesn't sound quite as bad as I remember playing an N/R master tapes without N/R used to sound -- with the tape you hear all that pumping and hiss and high end frequency levels changing all over the place. I don't hear that as much with film, yet I have never heard that the Dolby A or SR N/R is any different in cinema or audio studio processors -- A is A and SR is SR, no?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-07-2002 11:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Star Trek IV The Voyage Home" (aka Star Trek IV Save the Whales) had two 70mm prints with SR NR. That was a 1986 release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: