Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A different Westrex Problem

Author Topic: A different Westrex Problem
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one have out there a circuit diagram for Westrex Towers, I have absoultly no idear what model tower it is there are no markings on it. I want to get hold of the diagram for the run/rewind/off selector switch (the one that looks small and easy on the front, until you take off the covers and its the size of the regulac transformers and has got about a million wires coming off it).
The switch has got a bad contact somewhere. I dont want to touch the thing until i`ve got a diagram just in case. Any help would be appreaciated

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the drawings for the Control Panel (Varics/switches) or the main frame drawings?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 04:44 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got these drawings in me bible someplace. They are A3 so I'd need to get them reduced for scanning, which is going to fuzz them up a bit.

Those switches are no longer available. You have to replace it with a modern equivelant, and of course the pin outs don't match

I literally wrote the book on replacing old with new, when I get back from my holiday I'll dig it out and see if it's any help to you.

What's the tower doing / not doing? It's not always the switch at fault. A sure sign of switch failure is that it suddenly develops more than three positions, and all kinds of wierd things start happening, both top spools running together is one example!

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete the only thing thats wrong at the moment is that ocasionaly turning from off to run front, rewind rear some times the take up wont come to life, switching off and on will cure it. Its had new caps, motor`s been loved by your office and the toggle switches have been changed.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm,

So it's only on run front rewind rear that this happens? If so I think the rotary switch is to blame. If it was both settings then I'd be looking at the take up variac and it's carbon brush.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should of said that there is only one side to this tower as it is mounted horizontly due to the lack of head room in the projection room. So all rewinding and playing gets done on the one side. The one good thing is that I`ve got an extra bench because of it ( well on it anyway). The tower has also had new carbon brushes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: