Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » fm transmitter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: fm transmitter
Phil Radosevich
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Phil Radosevich   Email Phil Radosevich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know what kind of FM transmitters that are in use in drive ins

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-02-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly illegal ones, no?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-03-2002 12:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, There are several FCC approved FM transmitters that can be used in the drive-ins. I think around 100mw or so......Just strong enough to keep it on your property.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-03-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone market those loop antennas (the kind where the signal is receivable only inside the loop) for drive-in use? Seems to me like that would be a perfect application of the technology...

The Non-Weenie-Wielding Paul

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-03-2002 05:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decade in Montreal Canada makes an excellent stero FM transmitter that is DOC approved. They also supply the correct antenna for it as well

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-03-2002 06:36 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the stuff out there is made for pirate radio use. Speaking from a former pirate's view, you have the following options(undoubtivly I've missed a few):

Veronica FM www.veronica.co.uk/
Uk based comapny with a good PLL, some consider it the standard, FM kit.

Broadcast Warehouse www.broadcastwarehouse.com/

Ramsey kits www.ramseyelectronics.com/
makers of the famous FM25 stereo transmitter.

If you do go this route, make sure the kit you get is compliant with FCC rules and does not exceed 100mW. it is also necessary that you put out a clean signal, or the feds will be on your ass in no time at all.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 06:58 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the URL handy right now, but do a search on LPB. It's a Pennsylvania company (Easton, I believe) that manufactures broadcast consoles and low-power (legal) transmitting equipment. I've worked on their stuff for years and it's excellent. If you're going to do an installation, you might as well do it right.

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 07:38 AM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marble sells one that is legal and complete with antena for Drive in use

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 10:05 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Broadcast Warehouse TX-1 is an excellent transmitter (although too much power for FCC Part 15). I beleve the output power can be turned down, but I might be mistaken.

I personally have a Ramsey FM25 that I got from an old defunct drive-in. It came in a crappy little plastic case which did not shield it from any stray RF signals and noise. I bought a single space standard 19" rack mount chasis from Par Metal Products (www.par-metal.com), and mounted the circuit board inside the new chasis. It works great and my interference issues went away. I put a couple of ferrite coils on the 12volt power supply line and that helped too.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 10:16 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually for drive in use, the Ramsey Electronics FM-100 is the best, but here in the USA you have to assemble it yourself (it's sold fully assembled only for shipment outside the USA). It's a professional unit (and in a nice metal case with digital display of frequency). Be sure to buy the companion TM-100 antenna to go with it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-03-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the output power is too high, you can always make an attenuator to reduce the power. old FM exciters work great for drive ins too, just require more maintainance.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-03-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Josh. They do. However, they are too powerful. 10 watts will do an excellent job on coverage of a whole city. Just exactly what FCC gets a little horny about.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about ordering a C. Crane FM stereo transmitter? PLL,digital tuning,,FCC approved. www.ccradio.com

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-03-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, then put an attenuator on it.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul, what are you holding? i hope its just a hot dog.

nice to me back working again,

mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: