Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-500 lost EQ settings

Author Topic: CP-500 lost EQ settings
David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently re-EQ'd our CP-500 for the opening of Episode II. We just hung a new screen and moved the speakers so it needed to be done. Anyway, we had it sounding better than it ever had. For a couple of weeks. Just yesterday I go in to check on the movie and I notice that there is absolutely no lows and the highs are piercing which leads me to believe we lost our new EQ settings. What's up with this? I thought I'd read about somebody having this problem before but I couldn't find it in the archives. I don't know what software version we have, but I'm pretty sure it's not 1.61. Any thoughts cause now we need to re-EQ it again.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-01-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt you lost your EQ settings. I never heard of that happening. I suppose it is possible in the CP-500, since it is a stupid computer. I think you better check your speakers, etc. By the way, what does it sound like in the booth monitor? Are you Bi-amped? Is there a chance someone could have left the low frequency units off?

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is on and the subs are responding, I went and checked on that. They just aren't even close to as loud as they should be. Think of the Dolby Egypt trailer at the end where there's a bit of rumble, there's nothing now. And like I said, the cones are moving and they definitely aren't blown, they just aren't moving much. I can't say for sure that the rest of the channels changed, but the sound does seem quite a bit harsher and less comfortable when played at 7 where we EQ'd it at.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Try entering the CP500 to see if eq is flat or not.
Also, you can try to upload it again (if you saved it to disk).

Antonio

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I'm not going to have a chance to put a mic in the auditorium for a while. The booth monitor sounds like nothing when I select the sub, but what's new? The subs are on a single amp bridged. The amp shows signal going through it during the movie. I jumped into the Alignment menu really fast and it looked like it still has our spl levels that we set. Without a mic I can't see the EQ levels. Maybe it just blew off our sub settings...

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any clues on the 500's event log?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP500/CP650 losing their memory is fairly common in my experience. It seems to be associated with mains supply conditions. ie dirty mains = lost memory. Generally the 500 will revert to 'out of the box' conditions, and if yo uhappen to be looking at it when this happens it will display an error message about returning to factory setting. It's unlikely that the error log will show anything. You'll have to reload the settings (assuming you have them on disk), or re aliign the processor from scratch

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT is very common for a cp500 to take a dump that said the engineer who aligned the suystem should have saved the setting on disk that from any PC load 500 could re upload to the system
Are you Biamped if so check to see if the bass part of the B chain is doing anything
You don't need a mic to check if the eq has gone flat

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-02-2002 02:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the CP-500...the "Factory Settings" are all of the way down on the levels (pre-amp and output) and flat EQ. If your CP-500 took a dump, the volume should be almost non-existant. Fortunately, the CP-650 went with a factory setting of half-way up. Then again, Panastereo and older Dolby processors used trim pots, they didn't seem to loose their settings! (though in a rare moment some have gone noisey, particularly on the original Cat. 64s).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 05:49 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't an amp without a speaker connected (or with a blown one connected) clip or going in protection when strong signal is applied?

Antonio

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 10:35 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Do you by chance get a "battery picture" indication on CP500's screen?
EQ settings are stored in Cat No 684 where a "super capacitor" is responsible for keeping the current.
I had one case where a sudden mains drop disorganised all the settings (even speaker levels, as Steve has indicated)
Just uploaded the saved settings from a computer, and added a ups. The problem never occured since.

Regards,
Christos.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-02-2002 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The capacitor Christos mentions (and the accompanying battery indicator) is only really responsible for remembering the proper boot up state...that is...where the fader and format last were. The EQ and levels are stored on two flash roms on the Cat. 684. Some techs carry spares of those flash roms since if they become corrupted (like a crash during a firmware update) they become unusable and all you will have is bypass!

As a side note, the optical pre-amp in the CP-500 (Cat 682?) stores it's level and eq settings locally in addition to the Cat. 684. That is why if you swap optical pre-amps, there is a menu selection to guide you through it to transfer the data.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-02-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally surprised. I have been running CP-500's (a total of only 8) over the years, and I never heard of this happening. If it is a common thing for those dump thier brains, I better make sure I have it saved on floppy just in case.....kind of scary....

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have the cable to save our settings to disk... We should be getting one soon so the first thing we'll do is save the settings when we do. I haven't noticed the battery on boot up, but if what Steve said is true, then that shouldn't matter anyway. I may not need a mic to see if the EQ went flat, but if the EQ changed I wouldn't know the good version from the bad version being as how the previous settings were nowhere near flat and I would actually be surprised if they ever reverted to that. All I know is that people are complaining about it being too loud at 6.5 when there was previously no problem at 7. I'm going to fix it tonight.

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 03:42 AM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, upon examing the situation we ran into two issues that are of interest. Upon examing the EQ settings, it seems as if ours still exist, along with the SPL settings. But, we could get no input from our mic to check and make sure our settings were still fine(which they probably are.) Secondly, our bass problem seems to be coming from blown subs... It looks as if when I felt the subs during a show what I felt was vibration from the L,C, and R. The subs put out absolutely nothing when test tones are put through them. We connected a cheapy speaker in place of one of the subs and it responded, so that answers that. It seems that the harshness of the sound was probably due to an imbalance between the highs and the lows. This makes sense right? On the side, I'd just like to say that this is my guilty plea to being a dumbass... At least it matches my picture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: