Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter system from old Ballintyne

Author Topic: Platter system from old Ballintyne
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older platter in an old unused booth that I want to move to my new booth so I can stack more 70mm films and have more variety. I think this would be a straight forward move since both systems are 70mm. Are there any considerations I should look for when doing this move?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-01-2002 01:32 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure that the platter is in good running condition before you move it. Also you may want to consider what format (special venue or otherwise) that platter was intended to run, after all, 8perf 70 does run a little faster than 5 perf 70.

JJ

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the platter can run at the higher speed for 8 perf compared to the slower speed of standard 5 perf 70mm

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I did not even think of that? How hard would it be to get a 5perf to 8perf speed?

------------------
Jan Hackett

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-01-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be _very_ careful if you will be running mag-striped prints. Some platters have decks or other parts which can become magnatized and damage the soundtracks.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-01-2002 03:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a note, what Scott said would definately raise an eyebrow or two. In addition, some of the platter motors can produce some very powerful magnetic fields. The harder you make that motor work, the stronger the magnetic field will become.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are 8 perf magnetic fields are a non issue
Contact strong I think they can handle it but I am not sure

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan...Is the equipment still in the original booth?.....My first thought was that booth was an 870 Ballantyne.....It has been a few years since i've been there.

Scott

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Scott the eqipment is still in the booth. This was the first Iwerks booth in the United States. I think it was 8:70 but I am not sure. Did Ballentyne make a 8:70 head?

------------------
Jan Hackett

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-02-2002 08:16 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballentyne still makes 8/70 heads, I've run one

Josh

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-03-2002 05:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballantyne made an 870 head that was marketed by various companies such as super70 omni films Iwerks and others. It is the basis of the mega machine with a second intermitent.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-03-2002 06:30 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The machine we have is a ballentyne 8 perf machine made LAST YEAR. It is blue in color and has ONE movement. Good machine except is is very easy to scratch prints.

JJ

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 11:20 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We fitted a couple of those Balantyne 8/70 heads last year or maybe the year before that, I dun recall. If memory is working they are blue.

Josh, the major components of your machine are used as the basis of the megasystems etc mechs.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-03-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops, my bad

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then it should run 30fps alright......I was there installing the new booth...and around when the old theater was closed...and Mike never mentioned any problems with the platter....just run a test with some junk film that should still be around.

Scott

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: