Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Run Capacitor ??

Author Topic: Run Capacitor ??
Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question I should know but don't...I know what the start capacitor does, but what does the run capacitor do ?? I was in north Dallas & service an old GCC theatre which is now a Cinema Grill theatre that has Cinemeccania V-5 & V-8 projectors, I had trouble with the motors running, I checked the start & run capacitors & found ok, problem was in the wiring (Long Story) but I repaired the wiring & all is OK now...not being use to the V-8 proj. just wondering what does the run cap. do after the motor start ???

|  IP: Logged

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 12:55 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe keep current stable during show run trapping nonwanted variace to ground?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-01-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they delay the phase for startup? I'm not sure either.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinemecanica all have 3 phase motors and the run capacitor creates a phantom 3rd leg for the motor
A 3 phase motor will run without it once spinning but will run hot and with less torque
Often the start cap value and the run value will be different dpending on the morot design
The Prevost 3phase machines all use the same value for start and run

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a single phase PSC motor there is a 2nd winding which is the one connected to the capacitor. This creates a phase shift on the 2nd winding and that difference is what drives the motor. But since you're talking Cinemeccanica then Gordon's answer about 3-phase motors applies.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the V8's orginally had a funky "power on" switch. There were two sections to the toggle you pushed down on. When you pushed down, you were supposed to hold it for about 1/2 a second, then let up, ie: you were the "timer". The outer section came up, but the inner section stayed down, keeping the motor running.

I had a little laugh when the installer came to change the two projector c/o booth I worked into a twin. (Each projector was set up with a platter and automated.) I told him that he couldn't just put a relay accross the motor switch on the V8; that some kind of timer was needed to mimic that switch, to get the motor going. He thought I didn't know jack and said something like; "Yeah, sure, thanks kid." I ended up designing a little circuit for him.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-02-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem with an electrician who went and skipped the timer on the starting resistors on the 3 phase VIc8's and %'s in one complex and wouldn't listen
wiht in a month all the shutter gear boxes had to be replaced

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: