Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Outdoor Screen Placement

Author Topic: Outdoor Screen Placement
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May have finally located a piece of land for that outdoor I've been working on. Sadly, in these days of red-tape regulation, one must choose by where zoning can be had, not necessarily for where a screen should be placed. But it's very good in many ways. The technical dilemma is this: Where to place the screen? We have a square lot with N-S-E-W borders. North and West are first two choices. BUT West would face the road and a very public-accessible area, plus some distant street lighting. North and South could be somewhat shielded to freeloaders, but light issues are the same. This leaves me with East. No ambient light or freeloaders, but a "suncatcher". Of course many drive-ins have done this, but would any of you? For those that have these "suncatchers", do you start the movie later? By how much? Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 11:15 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Don't do it.
2. If you do it plant tall fast growing trees as a partial barrier.

(Edit)- Rethinking this, it is one of my dumber statements. Trees probably won't make any difference. The days when there are light clouds in the west, there will be a glow from them after the sun goes down. I've seen days when the clouds are in the east and the glow was brighter than the sunset. I guess siting a screen is a YMMV issue depending on local conditions.

How many have started a show in dark heavy rain, only to have to shut it down as the clouds thinned out and the light overpowered the image on the screen? (Raises hand)

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have Screens facing N,S,E,W I dont have a problem with light. I just walk around and start them aprox the same time. I do have a ten minute intermission reel at the begining and I also have plenty of light on the sceen

Tim
Starlite Drive-in
Litchfield Mn

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about the "glow". That was precisely why I figure a west screen can't really start much before an east anyway. There is a pretty good-sized hill to the west which makes takes the sun out a little earlier. Thanks.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-03-2002 01:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget about the freeloaders. You will not loose that much in the way of adminssions. Most people don't want to think of themselves as cheap freeloaders and will come in an pay the admission. The advantage you will get by orienting the screen where you will get the LEAST amount ambient light is the place to put it. If freeloading along the side of the road becomes a real problem, then fensing, water spray and even a burried antenna that transmits a jamming signal to obliterate the soundtrack can be used to discourage them.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave... you sound like me. I've finally settled on a location a little further away (9 miles)from where I had originally intended, but have NO zoning issues to deal with whatsoever. They told me the other night in the meeting... "Heck you could build it next to the courthouse if you wanted... if the land was available."

Our new site alows us to place the screens facing -15 degrees East & + 15 degrees West with parking capacities of 260 on each field, and still enough room on the site for a North facing tower with a capacity of 175 +/-.

Several weeks ago we went to a local drive-in to catch Spiderman and the owner started the show way too early for my taste... or so I thought. When the first image hit the screen, it was so faint you could barely even see it. He started off with the Filmack "Radioactive" trailer, a Pepsi commercial, then several (3-4) upcoming feature trailers. By the time Spidey hit the screen ... the lighting was perfect. It's obvious he'd done this a time or two.

Good luck... We still have the bet on who's the first to open - you or me.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've got NO zoning at all, so I say you're ahead! You're right, I find that even where a screen faces west, 5-10 minutes of trailers is usually what's done. To answer Frank, there's a greater chance of "all-night-long ambient light" if I face the road (and freeloaders) than if I take the sun. It wouldn't happen all weekends, but once or twice a month. And they're off!

Geoff Bradley
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Geoff Bradley   Email Geoff Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave. Maybe it's been awhile, but doesn't the direction of predominant winds play a factor anymore?

I just remember seeing the screen fly towards North Dakota one night during Twister.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-03-2002 11:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunset could be an issue.

Good thing you are not adjacent to an oil refinery. One drive-in I ran was, and when they hit the flares, it washed me off the screen.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies by candlelight Paul! Refineries can be worse, the last drive-in in Calgary Alberta was the Corral. Very busy, as you'd expect for the last 4 screens and a city of one million. The oil facility next door exploded, bathing the drive-in in pollution (so Cineplex Odeon says anyway). It sits abandoned. I suspect it was a way for Cineplex to take a huge insurance claim and sell the land. Thanks for all answers, I'm getting responses from, "Hell no, don't do it!" to "It's okay to do it."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: