Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Sound Formats (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70mm Sound Formats
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the different sound formats on 70mm film?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Michael, this is one of those "can of worms" questions that have endless answers. I'll give some of the basics, and leave the details to others.

Going back to the Fox Grandeur process in the 30's, you can find mono optical. Wonder if there are any machines out there that could play this format?

As for mag, I'm sure there are examples of everything from 1 to 8 channels at least. There is a lot of dispute about 7-8. There is a big debate on rec.arts.movies.tech right now about 8-channel 70mm films. Some claim they exist, and some claim they don't. This is one of those topics that creates endless arguments. It's like the argument of Cinerama having 8 tracks of sound, but actually there were 7 with an operator manually switching one of the surround tracks to a rear speaker (on THIS IS CINERAMA).

The basis for modern 70mm sound is the classic Todd-AO setup, with 5 screen channels and 1 surround.

My friend from Lake Erie, Jeffry L. Johnson, usually pops in with these Dolby Mag formats...these are from one of his previous postings:

70MM COMPOSITE MAGNETIC

40 70mm 6 track (Conventional 6 Track, no NR, Mag Filters)
41 Dolby 70mm Wide (6 Track, A-Type NR, Widerange all 6 Channels)
42 Dolby 70mm Baby Boom (6 Track, A-Type NR, Baby Boom Channels 2 & 4)
43 Dolby 70mm Stereo Surround (6 Track, A-Type NR, Baby Boom/Stereo
Surround)
44 Dolby 70mm Wide (6 Track, SR NR, Widerange all 6 Channels)
45 Dolby 70mm Baby Boom (6 Track, SR NR, Baby Boom Channels 2 & 4)
46 Dolby 70mm Stereo Surround (6 Track, SR NR, Baby Boom/Stereo
Surround)

There is also now 70mm-DTS, which seems to be a very good system. That is the format that I would most like to see, but I doubt there will be any more than a handful of these, at most.

Dolby has stated 70mm-Dolby Digital is possible, but I'm not aware of any production plans. Any 70mm-Dolby digital presentation have been with 70mm film and 35mm Dolby Digital synched (Lion King at Radio City is one example...Disney did a few premeires this way.)

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Sound Formats

Dolby Stereo Format Codes

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-31-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also CDS digital for 70mm.

-Aaron

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-01-2002 08:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to that Film Sound link (thanks!).

I always read that Fantasound (Disney's one-time setup for the original "Fantasia" road-show) was a 9-track system...or was it just 9 loudspeakers?

------------------
~Manny.

Some people can read "War and Peace" and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story while I, on the other hand, can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
Lex Luthor, "Superman: The Movie"

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's "baby boom" (other than what happened after WWII)

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-01-2002 09:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had just assumed that it was a special format for the movie entitled "Baby Boom."

Wasn't there also a special format for "Apocalypse Now" ?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-01-2002 02:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Fantasound" was originally a three channel process (left, right, surround, and a fourth track for control). "Fantasia" was the first commercial film release to feature stereo sound.

"Baby Boom" is just a nickname for Format 42. The two subwoofer channels are limited range "miniature" .1 channels, making it a 4.2 channel process. Funny joke about the movie "Baby Boom", although it had no 70mm prints (I think it was just plain Dolby A).

There is dispute about "Apocalypse Now" having a special sound format. The film was the first to publicly show the 70mm Format 43 process, which holds both 4.2 and 5.1 channel mixes on the same print ("Superman" was mixed for the process, but no Format 43 prints were publicly shown). Some point to ads for "Apocalypse Now" that claimed "8-channel quintaphonic sound" which alone is kind of odd in that quintaphonic really implies 5 channels. If it were 8 channels then it would be octophonic. Maybe SDDS would have been more successful if they had a whimsical octopus cartoon mascot. Hehe.

We all know about newspaper ads for films getting technical information wrongly displayed. I think the 8-channel ad on "Apocalypse Now" is just another example. Lately it seems most of the newspaper stack ads in most cities just don't list technical information anymore. If they can't do the job right they won't do the job at all.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baby boom was puting sub bass information on the Lc and Rc channels

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 1979 70mm release prints for APOCOLYPSE NOW only contained 1 boom track and 2 surround tracks (plus the three stage channels). They were not compatable with the standard 70mm sound format at that time. AFAIK, TOP GUN was the first 70mm film to use format 43 as it is now defined.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong
Superman was the first format 43 Appocoylpse was the second
The bass information on LC and Rc was summed to the sub input of the bass extension card
The high frequency on Lc plus the low frequency of the S track went to P (ls) The highfrequency of Rc and the low frequency of S went to Q (Rs)
During the eveolution of format 43 the crossover frequency changed but the concept remained the same
The prints could still be reproduced as format 42 as the filter card removed any highs from Lc and Rc and the S track contained a full mono surround track of which the low frequency protion was used for the split surrounds only
Many theatres never upgraded to the full format 43

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fantasound tracks were L,C,R, carried on an interlocked 35mm optical track with 4 double the normal width tracks. (The 4th track carried control tones to expand--that is, regulate the level--of the three audio tracks.) Sound was moved into other speakers in the auditorium by way of notches on the edge of the sound film.

Apocalypse Now was Format 43 Stereo Surround. This business about some other track arrangement was argued recently in news://rec.arts.movies.tech and is simply untrue.

Quoting from Larry Blake's R/EP article (later reprinted in his 1984 "Film Sound Today" compilation) about the A.N. sound mix:

Tom Scott was hired to scout and supervise the installations for the 70mm roadshow engagements. ... Scott also had a channel placement film to make sure that everything was where it should be. ... Such a test reel was especially important because tracks #2 and #4 contained low-frequency "boom" information below 200 Hz and, above 500 Hz, high-frequency information for the left and right surrounds.

That is the definition of Format 43 and the article specifically describes A.N. as the first film to use this format. I think it's about time this issue was put to rest.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-02-2002 10:58 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of the confusion may stem from descriptions of the soundtrack which refer to the LF channel as a separate track when in fact they are referring to the LF information carried on both tracks 2 and 4 which are also carrying the mid and high end of the twin surround tracks. There is an article in Cinefex #3 (yes, an audio article in Cinefex, go figure) about Walter Murch and an unsuspecting person could misconstrue what the author says about the channel layout as being the actual track configuration on the prints. But it also goes on to say, "For this custom installation the theater must have a Dolby decoder and an SA-5 surround adaptor."

The Dolby SA-5 was an add-on to the CP-100 that combined the various other external 1U-tall units one would have with a fully tricked out CP-100 into one housing (same cage as a CP-50) as well as the split surround card and a subwoofer card. It was specifically designed for "Apocalypse Now," it being the first split surround film. The manual is available here in the manuals section and contains a description of the A.N. track configuration which is that of Format 43 although that term didn't come into use until the CP-200 came out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to remember the specifics on why "Superman: The Movie" was mixed with Format 43 in mind, but with no prints actually being made in the process. The commentary track on the DVD mentions something about it but did not get into very specific details.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-03-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES (very early 70s)used a non-standard configuration of the 4 tracks on the 35mm mag prints to produce a split surround. They rerouted channel 2 (normally the center channel) to Ls and the channel 4 (normally the surround) to Rs. Although it was a VERY bad design given the mismatch between these two tracks, it was Ls/Rs.

Then there was John Mosley's Quintaphonic Sound format for TOMMY (mid 70s) which produced a split surround. Both predate APOCALYPSE NOW.

Interestingly Quintaphonic Sound is a registered trademark of John Mosley's company -- have no idea how it would be used for any other system, especially for an 8 channel configuration.

Then again, nomenclature in this industry has always been much more a fucntion of marketing rather than the real technology involved. They attach practically any name they want in those newspaper ads to film titles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: