Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 non sync level (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP55 non sync level
David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to adjust the non sync level on a CP55 or do I have to just turn down the fader? It's kind of inconvenient doing that but if that's the way it has to be, then so be it. The manual said to adjust the fader when switching from non sync to the program format but maybe one of you knows a trick?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
There is a pot inside the processor for each non sync left and right channels. This is an adjustment which requires the technician's "diddle stick" screwdriver. I have found there are two ways around this. One is to have the earphone output of the CD player (usually with volume control) feed the signal to the CP-55. Another way is to install a dual 10K pot in the input circuit between the sound source and the processor input.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-29-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you do not need a diddle stick, or tweek stick as it is better known, just use a small screwdriver. Monitor the surround channel and adjust the two pots to a comfortable level. Then match the two so that there is as little dialog in the surrounds as possible, or until the center channel indicator on the matrix decoder is the brightest and the left and right look balanced, i.e., one isnt lit brighter than the other, ect.

Hope that helps

Josh

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which card are these pots on?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-30-2002 12:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cat 242 card. Near the top. Check the inside of the door panel - it'll show you exactly where they are. When you make this adjustment, make sure your master fader is at the nominal running position for your theatre.

It has been a long time, but it seems to me that if you have a full-blown CP-55 that will handle the digital formats and an external SRA-5 adapter is used, the non-sync pots are in the SRA-5 external adapter, but I am not certain about that.

I just chatted with John Westlund, and he indicated the non-sync adjustments are behind the external SRA-5 adapter door if you are using that set-up. Thanks, John. My memory is refreshed.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 03:34 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul that's true IF the SRA-5 is installed the old way, using the non-sync inputs (comes up on the 'AUX' button). If it's been installed the new and better way (Comes up on what was the 03 Dolby Stereo, no surrounds) then the non-sync pots in the CP55 work as non-sync level control. If it's got all the mods for digital, then the SRA-5 must be installed the new way, as Format 10 Dolby Digital comes up on what was the 'AUX' button.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-30-2002 10:04 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case there's anybody else who's interested in having uniform levels in all cinemas...

Non-Sync was a pet peeve of mine at AMC; different levels in every auditorium. Also, some had the music coming out of the surrounds whereas others had music emanating mainly from the screen.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for uniformity!

Very recently, I experimented with one auditorium here until I got just the level I wanted and then I ran a 1kHz tone through the CD player to make sure I had balanced left/right: watch the lights on the NR card, and then double-check that the Centre channel has the strongest signal (lights on the front panel of a CP-45).

With the tone still playing, I went around to all of the other processors and set the Non-Sync input to the same LED pattern so that they'd all play at the same level. (It's a lot like setting Dolby tone.)

I'm using CP-45's but I think the Non-Sync is very similar on the 55's.

The CD was a freebie from TDK.

------------------
~Manny.

Some people can read "War and Peace" and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story while I, on the other hand, can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
Lex Luthor, "Superman: The Movie"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-30-2002 12:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, Pete.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nae bother Paul.

You can tell I was up early today, I got there before Gordon or Steve G.!!

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure we have it set up the "new" way. We have the SRA5 on there and I'm pretty sure it's on 03, and we have a DA20 and I'm positive it's on AUX. So, I will check those pots on the 242.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2002 12:04 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, be sure you know what format non-sync is coming up with. Then you will know for sure what to do. Indiscriminate "Knobgetwitzen make fer sparkin und spitzen", as the saying goes.....

....got that out of the PRO-35 manual........

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I need to do is turn it down, it's almost as loud as the movie is.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:26 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: Diddle Stick vs. Tweak Tool

The Diddle Stick is a tool used by an earnest experimenter to induce unknown changes in unfamiliar equipment.

The Tweak Tool is used by an expert in the adjustment of the equipment and with experience, beyond the service manual, for making optimal settings.

Webster, rest in peace~

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT DOES ... DON'T TURN IT!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-31-2002 08:41 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or if you are still curious as to what it does, twist it, note any changes, then turn it back

Josh

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

When I was 9 years old I took my father's pocket watch apart to see "what made it tick?"
It never did again.
KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: