Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pro-35 Gate adjustment

Author Topic: Pro-35 Gate adjustment
Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 12:30 AM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have a ballantyne Pro-35, I'm getting huge amounts of film shavings and film dust in my projector, where is the adjustment to move the gate that closes on the film out a little? Thanks-

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right under the film gate is a screw i belive it called coarse adjustment or something. use it while the film is running. try to use the lighest tension as posible. also there are fine adjustments on the film pad also. if u have film shavings check to see if the film pads have any burrs on them, i seen this before someone take the film pad assembly out to clean the projector and they just throw it on top of the projector.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-29-2002 01:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, make sure the trap shoe is not sprung. If they are dropped on the floor, they will distort very easily. When the adjustment is made with the eccentric screw, make sure the trap shoe is not driven into the film. If the shoe is sprung, it is very possible for it to come in contact with the film. The offending part of the trap shoe is the bottom section.

Take a black magic-marker and "paint" the entire bottom of the trap shoe with it. Then, make a loop and run it through the machine for a bunch of passes. Shut the machine down, remove the trap shoe, and see if any of the magic marker "painting" has been polished off the shoe. If it is, it might be necessary to give it a "wang" to spring it back to the orginal shape. Better yet, purchase a new trap shoe. With the PRO-35, it would be a good idea to have a new spare in your parts cabnet.

If a movie is run with the trap shoe coming in contact with the film, the print will be totally ruined with stock-side scratches!!!

I would recommend checking the intermittant sprocket alignment. If the outboard bearing thumb screw is out of adjustment, the sprocket will be mis-aligned which could cause serious damage to the film.

Before the outboard bearing assy is adjusted, check the manual. Failure to adjust it properly could really trash the projector big time. It could damage the bearings, spline shafts, and the movement itself.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-29-2002 08:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what the shavings look like it could be the lateral guides in the trap. I have seen them get worn razor sharp

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-29-2002 11:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and I might mention how important it is to insure the gate pressure pads and film slides are kept clean. A wax build-up on those parts will act as a neat razor blade, and really do a number on the SDDS and SRD tracks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: