Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Classic trouble calls. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Classic trouble calls.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-26-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this belongs in this tread.

Anyway, for years of servicing and running projection booths, I have heard some lame-brained boner statements about equipment malfunction from the operators/projectionists. The best one I have heard was:

"Duh, you know that axle that sticks out of the back of the camera with the fan blade on it? Well, it don't go around."

That one held the record until this weekend. I received a trouble call that was equal or better than the above.

"Duh, the voices in Star Wars don't work."

Sorry, I just could not resist posting this.

Jeeze........Have some of you heard better ones?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-26-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather get those calls for help...My people used to get a little ahead of themselves...

"...I noticed that the projected image looked extremely blurry on screen. At first I suspected that the lens may have been dirty but after cleaning it the problem still persisted. It was then that I suspected that the gears in the projector may have been off. But after checking them and tightening the washer I realized that the problem was slightly beyond my basic knowledge..."

Solution: Lens needed focusing.

Another problem used to be incomplete reports which didn't specify which location/complex or screen # and, in the case of platters, which disc.

I solved this by creating a form which - for the most part - only calls for circling. There is a very small space for a free-form written commentary on the problem and we added a training module to teach the operators how to (or how NOT to) report a malfunction.

------------------
~Manny.

Some people can read "War and Peace" and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story while I, on the other hand, can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
Lex Luthor, "Superman: The Movie"

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How make stick light?"

"Film no longer fit on platter!" (no film was added)

"Everyone sounds like adults from the 'Peanuts'!" (actually a very good description for the non-techie)

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit Off Topic but sounds like when I'm doing PC network manteinance (during spare time).

No matter what is the problem, a power plug not connected or the mouse broken. The problem description will be
"We cannot access the network".

Once I found that the PC was completely dead and on the monitor there was "NO SIGNAL OR CABLE DISCONNECTED".

Cable disconnected=no access to the network

I imagine that theater manteinance should be very fun sometimes...

Bye and sorry for the OT.

Antonio

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 04:44 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Duh, the voices in Star Wars don't work."

You got that call too?! They called me first (don't know why, i'm not the tech!) And I explained that, "No, you mean the center channel." Not wanting to get into an argument over the phone, I just dropped the whole thing after the response came back, "No, it has nothing to do with the channels, the voices aren't working." I can't stand people who don't care enough to learn anything.

Paul, don't forget the "The movie is showing on the top and bottom of the curtains" when the (top) masking was set to scope for a flat film. argh.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest annoyance is when I get a call from an usher saying that the picture in a certain theater is blurry, or off the screen. I then proceed to run over to said projector, and the movie hasn't even started yet. It ends up being the slide projector that is out of focus etc. I of course fix the problem, but damn, they make it sound so urgent.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-26-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...the old standard..."the picture is falling off of the screen."

Translation: we're showing a flat movie with a scope plate.

------------------
~Manny.

Some people can read "War and Peace" and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story while I, on the other hand, can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
Lex Luthor, "Superman: The Movie"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The slide may actually be generating more income for the theatre than some movies

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-26-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, you got that right!!!!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 09:49 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a call today from a guy who said the volume was too low on his SDDS unit ... turned out he didn't know the numbers on the SDDS display go down as the actual level increases (dB). He kept turning the volume counter-clockwise watching the numbers go up.

My burger got cold...

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 03:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I've got no sound in any of my three screens"
"Is everything on?"
"Yes"
"Are you sure? Are the LED's on?"
"Yes"

Turns out that the vis leds were not on, he thought I meant the leds on the power amps!

Or

"I changed the lamp and the new one won't strike"
"Is it in properly?"
"Of course, I've been doing this for twenty yearsw, do you think I'm an idiot?!"
"No, just checking. Is it trying to strike?"
"Yes the striker buzzes and I can see a flash in the lamphouse"
"Is the rectifiers ok?"
"Yes, 110v off load"

This 20 year experienced expert had managed somehow to connect both cables from a 2000W lamp to the cathode stud!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-27-2002 07:35 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had:

The screen is moving back and forth sideways!!!

The century lateral guide spring had sprung and was not tensioning the film as it entered the gate.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one that induced my retirement was from a theatre 100 miles away; the report; "The sound is freaking out"

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people always say "the screen" when they are really referring to the picture on the screen!?? That bugs the shiot out of me!

Can you fix the screen?
The screen is messed up.
The screen is cut in half.
The screen is on the wall.
The screen is not centered.

No, people. There is nothing wrong with the screen here. It is the picture on the screen! Grrrr...

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about "The picture is all purple"

-The curtain was still closed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: