Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » do you use soft clipping mode on your amps ?

Author Topic: do you use soft clipping mode on your amps ?
David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi

some pro amps offer this feature, which limits the clipping and even sort of increase significantly the unclipped power the amp can deliver. Do you guys use this feature ?

Also, what power would you feed a "small cinema" equipped with JBL 3677 on the front and 2x4645C subwoofers ?
size is 8x15x4meters , 30seats ( small ) .
I thought of 200watts unclipped on the fronts ( 8ohms ) and 800w on each sub.

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-26-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No! Not in a theatre. I guess punk rock bands use soft clipping, but the music is so distorted nobody can tell the difference. Any clipping or limiting will produce an asymmetrical waveform.

As an example, we broadcast AM stereo using the Motorola Format (L+R L-R) and the recommended setting on the stereo generator is ZERO asymmetrics because of distortion. FCC allows 125% positive peak modulation and 99% negative peak modulation in AM Broadcasting, but who cares? We are interested in broadcasting fidelity, and we are not interested in our coverage by exceeding 100% modulation in stereo broadcasting.

Our AM Stereo transmitter has soft limiting, but since we do not want more than 100% positive peak modulation, we let the transmitter handle that instead of our processor.

Clipping is clipping. I think Bobby Henderson and others in his profession might be able to address this better than I can. I have an Audio Technica 12-channel mixer, and it features soft clipping. I aviod that area as much as possible when I use it. I am after fidelity, not distortion.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 07:02 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's right. Clipping is clipping. I managed the first AM stereo station in NJ and we also operated with the Motorola C-QUAM system. The GM insisted on getting those 125% postive peaks out of the transmitter and it was louder, but distorted as all hell, even though we weren't driving it into clipping. The distortion caused by clipping, whether it's soft or hard, is from added harmonics. In the case of just audio, once the waveform starts becoming more squared off, you're adding additional harmonics to the sound which give it that harsh, edgy sound. In the case of broadcasting, ALL of the information is transmitted in the form of sidebands and once you start clipping, all hell breaks loose as you generate sidebands all up and down the dial. Stay away from assymetrical waveforms and clipping, soft or hard. It's quality, not quantity that counts with sound...unless you're a heavy metal band.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soft clipping or limiting is better in the worst case than hard clipping and loosing drivers
Remember that clipping can be caused by accidents processor failures or human error (Nonsync being blasted after hours)
Most professional amps feature some form of compression.
Proper design thaking conservative power requirements are the rule but other factors should be protected

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some installations where morons will be running the equipment I definately turn it on. It will undoubtly prolong equipment life and perhaps make my job a bit easier in the long run.
Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This idea of "soft clipping" came out of the butt of some marketing exec or ad copy writer who got wind of those techies who had begun this romantic love affair with "the tube sound." Of course none of them ever actually worked with real tube equipment, but it became the sexy buzz word with the new crop of the hip digital generation. Thus, an unholy aliance between young techies and young yuppie marketing people was formed and a deluge of equipment showed up in pro audio gear that claimed to either mimic the "tube" sound or actually used tubes in their circuits. And, of course, cost double the price of gear that didn't claim to be tube-like. There's a price to being hip.

I started in the recording industry when tube equipment was still being used (Altec mixing boards, Pultec parmetric eqs, etc.) and I can tell you, no mixing or recording engineer I ever meet said, "gee, that distortion is ok because it's from TUBES." Distortion and clipping, no matter if it is coming from tube equipment or not, is crap and any engineer who is running his gear into it is an ass.

If your amps are running near or at clipping in order to get Dolby level (or a good, punchy sound in the room according to your ears --the ultimate claibration instrument), then the system is under-powered and that needs attention. If on the other hand, the problem really lies in those imbicles who turn up the non-sync after hours, then before I would introduce some soft clipping circuit into the system and compromise the theatre sound, I would have anyone who messes with the system after hours FIRED. OK, so that's a bit draconian, and of course I don't want to be seen as the ogre in our happy theatre "familly" (gag me with a spoon), so I think I would opt for a threshold limiter/compressor rather than soft clipping on the amps. The compressor would treat normal levels transparently but would clamp on any level beyond the preset.

Then I would go into the general manager and tell him he has to buy three Valley People thresshold limiter/compressors for about $2400, OR he can fire the after-hours crew. Which do you think he will choose?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-26-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, that was well said. Thank you.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 02:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all the "soft clipping" or Limiting circuits are transparent below the threshold they are set for.
I have seen to much damge from tail outs or devices going into oscillation not to expect the amp to have protection
In fact I don't know of many pro amps on the market that don't have some form of output protection via a limiting circuit

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: