Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica V5 Motor temperature

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica V5 Motor temperature
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

In my theater we have two V5-MI and their motors become just lukewarm when working.
In another theater we have a V5 consolle (same motor code) and it is HOT. Is it normal?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run 4 vic 5's all motors just get warm to touch, not Hot. Maybe youve got a problem with a bearing on the drive train. Ive had a few belt idler bearings go, but that shouldnt make the motor get Hot. Is the machine easy to turn over by hand, ie gove it a spin and will it continue spining for at least half a turn??
Other options,

Drive Belt to tight?
Bad conection from the Inverter to the Motor?
Take the belt off the motor and run the machine for a while to see if its the motor or the load of the machine stressing it?

Anyone else got any ideas?
Darren

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply.
--
Is the machine easy to turn over by hand, ie gove it a spin and will it continue spining for at least half a turn??
--
Yes, no problem with hands.
--
Bad conection from the Inverter to the Motor?
--
That machine doesn't have the inverter so the projection starts immediately at maximum warp...
Our Kinoton Platter is suffering every time...
--
Take the belt off the motor and run the machine for a while to see if its the motor or the load of the machine stressing it?
--
We will try.

Thanks!
Antonio

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-25-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try rotating the motor by hand to check all four points of the maltese cross in the intermittent to see if there is any tightness. You probably have the Galvazzi slow-start box if your projector is less than 7 years old and when they fail the motor usually operates at full speed upon start up.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 05:47 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

mmm...

This is what happen with our projection. At FIRST show, the motor starts very slow, then go to normal speed.

Second and later shows start with full speed...

Projector is from 1997.

Is it not normal?

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 09:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No that is not normal
Most of the Vic5's here used 3 starting resistors with a relay on a timer to drop them off line after starting
The intermitent is a good place to start looking as would be the shutter gear box
If the mchine has been jump starting it probably has developed some problems because of the start up shock

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-02-2005 08:45 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1195 days since the last post.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2005 08:45 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this tread back..
I'm having a bit of trouble with 4 Vic.5 in the past days regarding their motors,these machines didn't come with their pedestals/consoles and are being mounted on another ,locally made console. The problem is that they're going at full speed when the motor is turned on and two of them are jumping the belts and the shutter goes out of timing each time the motor is turned on.
3 of them have single phase,120V motors and only one has a 3 phase 120/208V motor. the last one with 3 phase motor wasn't run yet because the voltage is "oddball" where I am ( out 3 phase is either 220 or 380V), hte whole thing is with the single phase motors,on their specs plate it states that a 30+30uF cap is needed and shows a very basic connection diagram.If the cap is connected to give 60uF( both sections in parallel),the motor jumps and speed is off, with 30uF ( only one cap. section connected) it jumps,speed is ok and with 15uF(both sections in series)the motos starts slows, sometimes it hums loud and doesn't run, when it does sometimes the speed is ok, sometimes is off., in all cases, motor temp rises quite fast. a resistor based slow start whas tries in order to minimise the jumping but it keeps thee motor from start as it should.
What's the propper way to connect this 30+30Uf capacitor mentioned in the plate along with hte rest of the motor?
is there any other thing to be done with htem to keep hte belts from jumping each time the darn thing is started?
Thanks!
Luciano

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normially the cinemecanica on 3 phase are started with 3 40ohm 100watt resistors in serries with each of the three phases one per phase and they are shorted out at the 3-4 sec point by a timer
better yet is run them on a invertor and ramp them to speed

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 of the 4 Vic.5 I'm having to deal with have single phase motors and are these 3 htat are giving me headaches with the starting. the last one with 3 phase motor wasn't tested yet because our 3 phase power is 220/380 and the motor is 120/208.
A connection diagram for these motors would be nice ,if possible.
specially for the single phase motors with capacitors.

Luciano

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the italian motor then it is a three phase motor running on capactiors
You have to set the straps in the front of the motor to the correct feed the diagram is on the motor name plate that will allow it to run on 220 3 phase

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running 3 vic 5 consols all have slow start all turn over very free and from brand new out of the box the motors have run very hot all the time , so hot you will get burns if you touch them when running.
The have all operated trouble free considering, one was making a rasping noise so I threw some new bearing in it and now it runs very quiet. they are very easy to re bearing and only cost $10 over here for bearings, the motor still runs red hot but like I said they have from new.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the motors are a slower speed around 7oo+ rpm (i can't remember the exact value) as such there is less airflow across the motor from the fan blade built into the end of the motor

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-03-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on where the projectors where imported from and what year you may have black Bodine single phase motors which start very rapidly...it would be best to replace them with a 3 phase motor. The idler rollers around the intermittent drive gear can be adjusted inward to minimize belt popping and belt tension with about 6 - 7mm flex on the belt from the bottom sprocket gear to the top tensioning idler roller. There are 11 models of motors for the V-5 in addition to the Bodine kit from the USA. The 208 3 phase will work on 220 - 230 but will run hotter....I have seen many ballast resistor set ups being used in Brazil to lower voltage; a easy fix but wasteful power wise. Cinemeccanica has the Galvazzi slo start box in addition to the resistors and time delay relay kit but with competitive prices on inverter control boxes you would get superior motor control at equal or less cost. Invertor control may make the Italian 3 phase motors run more warm but it is not serious.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All motors are italian,made by ICM. they're 1800rpm and these machines came from the US as far as I know.I didn't pay attention tyo the year on all of them, two are from 87, the others I believe from the same time, give or take a year.all hte deal seems to be with the capacitor connected to the motor, but I alreqady tried all hte schemes to conenct them and can't get the motor to run right [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: