Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Componet Engineering FM35 Failsafe Problems ?

Author Topic: Componet Engineering FM35 Failsafe Problems ?
Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 08:53 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im currently having some problems with one of my FM35 failsafes shutting the projector down while in previews. This just started happening when we moved a new movie in here so i decided to change out the trailer pack and start fresh but it still shutting down. It doesent seem to be happening in the same spot and we clean the sensors at leasty once a day with a Q tip and alcohol. Is there anything else about this failsafe that could be causing this problem. This failsafe is working in conjunction with a Christie P35C projector and UA built automation system.

Thanks,
Glenn

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-22-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that the bracket has shifted out of alignment.

As a result the film may no longer be sitting squarely on the large black roller. A splice can cause the film presence/motion detector(s) to trigger a false alarm.

If this is a plattered system, then the lower roller (in the take-up position) could be out of alignment.

You basically want to make sure the film is sitting squarely on the rollers.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 09:46 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that can cause false shutdowns is if the sensor bracket gets bent, so that the outboard side is either too close or too far away from the film. Try to fit your head in front of it so you can look at both sides and see if this is the case. I have found quite a few that have been whacked so that the outboard side is too close to the film. Simply bend the bracket back so that both sides are the same distance from the roller. Also, make sure that the grooves in the roller are clean.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-22-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the IR bracket and give it a super bath in "Simple Green" or "409". Then rinse it off with warm water, shake it off, let it dry, and re-install.

Check for mis-alignments as some of the other guys have indicated above, and correct as needed.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-22-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the above. Sometimes the thing gets dirty, which means you have to clean it. I do that by removing the sensor unit from the failsafe and cleaning it on the bench. Do NOT use lens cleaner or anything else that has blue dye in it. If you don't get all the cleaner off, it will dry and leave a faint blue haze on the sensors. As you know, blue is not a good color for infrared to go through. It will make the thing act up even more. It happened to me.

After you have done that and checked for alignment, etc, you may consider that the sensor itself is getting weak. This is especially true if you have an older model. If that's the case you'll be able to tell because swapping the sensor with one on another projector will cause the problem to move. You can order a new sensor. The part number is FM-35-PU, if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget to save the old parts. You'll need to send them back to the company after you install the new ones.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 12:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unscrew the 2 screws holding the Motion/Presence module and pull it off (it unplugs). Hold it under a good light and look for bad solder joints around all the connector pins. I have had several that developed cold solder joints.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 07:49 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not likely, but is it possible your alcohol is leaving a haze on the sensors? I'm sure you only use 99% isopropal, not the 70% stuff, but on some things, alcohol leaves a residue. We only use dry q-tips on things unless the situation calls for it.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I went in today and checked the alignment and took off the sensor board and gave it a thorough cleaning and removed all the build up. Dried everything off and re-installed. First show of the day went through without a hitch. WOO HOO.

Thanks Again,
Glenn

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Good Job!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: