Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SR*D & DTS Together (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SR*D & DTS Together
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if you have your SRD reader on will it effect the DTS reader. We are using a CP-500. In other words, will this set-up cause the two formats to fight in the processor?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-21-2002 10:41 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said to leave the unused decoder switched off to prevent that. I dont think they would fight, but it sure would sound weird, and the processor might lock up.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are threading through both readers and want to play in DD, then turn off the DTS player. And, when you want to play in DTS, turn on the DTS player.

Karen at DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

We had a strange thing few days ago with our DTS6D/CP500.

THX trailer we attached was not on the disk so it played in DD. When trailer finisced, a DTS encoded movie was directly attached at the tail of the trailer. At the end of THX trailer CP500 make a mess with SR-DD and didnt' read the DTS6D pulse to SK5.

We had auto digital activated however. We reolved the problem adding a very small piece of black leader between trailer and feature.

Antonio

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio. Was the THX trailer you were using TEX? If so I had read a thread here that the end tail was not encoded properly and will cause your CP-500 is default back to SR and not read DTS. It did it on ours. We did the same thing you did to fix the problem.

"Something VERY important in regards to a new DTS trailer. They need to MAKE SURE the timecode runs all the way into the tail leader and there is "all zeros" silence during the end. I have found the THX TEX trailers drop out right at the end and default back to SR on just before the feature begins because of this" Quote from the thread.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 05:41 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

No, was the broadway 2000.

I cut the trailers where the picture start messing (white borders visible in projecton or similar). I try to have all possibile timecode.

Bye
Antonio

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2002 11:28 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you want to run add/trailers in SRD and the feature in DTS. Assuming the add/trailers how no DTS timecode/discs.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2002 12:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Michael's question: run the feature in a different format (one with auto-digital turned off) than the trailers, and have either the automation or the projectionist switch to that format at feature start. The only problem with this would be if the trailers had DTS timecode _and_ the soundtrack for the trailers was on the feature disks. In this case, they would play in DTS. Not a big deal, though.

(Disclaimer, I'm not intimately familiar with DTS with CP-500s...I've used DTS with just about every other processor, though [CP-45, 55, 65, and 200]. Still, this _should_ work, according to the manuals.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just the Tex and Broadway 2000 trailer logos, but ALL of them that I have noticed. The classic Broadway logos do a hard drop right at the last split instant of sound to SR when it says "www.thx.com" on the screen, a good 5 or more seconds before the end of the logo. My automation requires a pulse to allow the dts unit to engage, so I have to put a cue on the head and tail of sound logos because of this. It would be nice if the original recording/file went right up to the last frame of black on the trailer and then continued silence for the 4 seconds the unit provides before fallback.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be cool to have the DTS logo equipped with a SR-D track?
Wouldn't it be cool to have the Dolby Logo equipped with a DTS track?

SDDS? Nah - they don't count.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-26-2002 02:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be cool would be to have some new DTS logo trailers!!! As nice as Sonic Landscape is, it's gettin' kinda old.

I would suggest about 2 or 3 seconds of silence (with timecode) before the start of the audio on the next DTS trailer. With the Sonic Landscape one, our unit occasionally takes a second or two into the audio before it actually kicks into DTS.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2002 02:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, Mike...I gotta put up with that thing with the Yamahammer Piano..... I don't know which rock DTS found it under, but I wish it would go back under a heavier rock...one that is heavy enough to squash it.

Karen, how about a thunder and lightning DTS Logo? I'll run that thing until it is shredded.....and I would probably be willing to almost flat-line my power amps running it...and blow their butts right out of the auditorium.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2002 04:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I would suggest about 2 or 3 seconds of silence (with timecode) before the start of the audio on the next DTS trailer. With the Sonic Landscape one, our unit occasionally takes a second or two into the audio before it actually kicks into DTS.<<

Yes, that's a real shame on the sonics. Especially since it is advertising your whiz-bang perfecto sound system, only to have it start in SR and then drop into DTS. More black at the beginning AND make sure that black has no nasty dots in the optical track please.

------------------
Too much of the rest of the film is given over to a romance between Padme and Anakin in which they're incapable of uttering anything other than the most basic and weary romantic cliches, while regarding each other as if love was something to be endured rather than cherished. There is not a romantic word they exchange that has not long since been reduced to cliche.

No, wait: Anakin tells Padme at one point: "I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating--not like you. You're soft and smooth." I hadn't heard that before.

- Roger Ebert reviewing Episode 2. :)

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New DTS trailers, yes I agree it is time for new ones! I heard from our marketing department that some new ones are planned for the end of the year. Now, don't quote me on the ETA, it could take a little longer. But, at least it in the works!

Karen at DTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like the Sonic Landscape, but my theater usually did not run sound format trailers, so I only saw it about twice. Whatever happened to the "flying CD" trailers? Now those were awesome! Bring that one back!!

Sonic Landscape just doesn't quite seem to fit with action and sci-fi type movies. It would be nice to have 2 or 3 different trailers to choose from.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: