Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Threading loops on Century CCs?

Author Topic: Threading loops on Century CCs?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask this question with some trepidation...I have a feeling that "there's no great answer," but let me ask anyhow.

Does anyone have a particular recommendation on how to thread
loops on Century CCs? Our particular configuration (top-to-bottom) is Kelmar reel arms, DTS timecode reader, Century CC, Century R3, Century lower magazine.

Back in the pre-DTS days, I was never really happy with how we ran loops, but "the way we always did them" involved a 1000' reel as an idler in the upper magazine, and running around the main door.

Currently, I can't say I really like any of the options--they seem to need a lot of supervision and seem to tend to shred film. On some level, I know this is the nature of loops.

My current approach is to start the loop at the upper keeper roller of the DTS timecode reader, and exit just after the constant-speed sprocket in the R3, with one hand keeping the film entering the at the top and the other hand mostly keeping it coming off the bottom...

I suppose the ideal thing would be a 5/16" shaft keyed 45-degree angle roller to stick on the upper reel arm and the lower magazine. It would make the loop a fair bit longer, but perhaps could make it run unattended?

Thoughts?

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running loops on a Century definitely is a pain.If I am just running a loop of RP-40 to quickly check the image I usually bypass the soundhead completely. That is, come off the lower projector sprocket and head back up. Sound loops are more of a pain. Try not threading over the final roller just under the soundhead sprocket. Your Kelmar reel arms should have threaded holes to accept a swivel roller post. You could try to get a couple of those and install them at a 90' angle to the reelshafts. They can also be set up to swivel out of the way.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say Kelmar reel-arms yet also claim Century magazines...which is it or is it a combination?

For loops, I make mine 10 feet in length. I also store them unmade..thus they never get that kink in them form being stored in loop form and rolled small enough for storage. For picture, I omit the sound head, for sound loops, I thread the whole thing. When starting the projector, I hold my finger on the soundhead hold back sprocket until the sound tensioners stabilize and then I often have no problems.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Sorry, I thought I was clear in the "top-to-bottom" enumeration. Kelmar upper reel arms, Century lowermagazines. (Originally all Century magazines, but the upper magazines were replaced when the DTS timecode readers went in).

10' certainly seems longer than what I'm used to. I'll give it a shot and see if that works better. I don't have the length I used in front of me, but it was noticably smaller, much closer to the bare minimum physically required.

--jhawk

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 08:17 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a platter, could you jst thread the loop through the rollers on the top & bottom of the platter column?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-20-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Matthew, most loops are at best, 6 feet. That is not enough to reach the platter tree and back again. besides, he doesnt have a platter.

JJ

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-20-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't need the platter, just some rollers. Kelmar reel arms are designed to have rollers attached at the top and bottom for platter use. A carefully aligned guidance roller on the upper reel arm might actually be a good option for this situation, but they would still require unnecessarily long loops. I've only seen clusters of 2-3 rollers (intended to give the option of interlocking), but presumably single rollers are available as well.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemecanica has large aluminum rollers that are keyed to fit right over the spindle of the projector
that is what I use

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Gordon, do you have a part number or other reference?
Thanks.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2002 12:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John, a standard Kelmar roller without it's shaft will fit nicely on either size shafts on your reel arms. Many older theaters that had extensive interlock setups have tons of these laying around.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-22-2002 02:31 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep one of the roller arms that come with Strong platters (hardly anyone here seems to actually use them as film guides, mostly the Speco roller arms) plus a large visegrip in the car... there's usually some way I can bend and clamp it so it works. Good backup if I can't find some way to hang the loop on the machine so it runs OK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: