Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS-6 Player - Do I need a new board? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS-6 Player - Do I need a new board?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-18-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DTS-6 player and it seems to be working just fine except that I can't tweak my subwoofer levels with great accuracy.

I can go from 81dB to 84dB, but nothing in between. The other player like this one gave me a smooth increase/decrease in all levels.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all depends...are you using an SPL meter? If so, you don't know what you are reading...if you are using an analyzer, that might be something different.

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question, but does the other dts player when used in this auditorium have the same problem? I'm wondering if it is something simple such as the digital sub input on your processor is at one of it's extremes, making the output pot of the dts overly sensitive. What kind of processor is it? Please provide as much info as you can.

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-18-2002 12:57 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Brad. I should've stated I'm going through a Dolby CP-45 processor. Amplifier gain is at maximum, I'll have to verify the where the pot is for the sub output (on the CP-45) before saying whether it is/isn't at an extreme.

Clarification: The other DTS-6 unit in this theatre is installed in a different auditorium.

Steve: I was indeed trying to check the level with an SPL meter to do a quick check of the levels. Curious as to why it doesn't work..?

I have an RTA on order, but it has not arrived from Miami yet, so I guess I'll just have to wait until then.

This player was installed about two years ago and as far as I can tell (just by asking around) they haven't used it. As it turns out, this system needs a new timecode reader. It's been turned on everyday for the past two years or so, even though wasn't being used. I guess they killed the LED?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 02:05 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
manny,

Did you try a dry contact cleaner on the pot? I had to clean my offset switch and now they work perfectly.

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-18-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the DTS breakout board and the new DTS setup disk with track two cntaining tone just dial up 300mv on each and you are done

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-19-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why it wont work using an SPL meter for subwoofer....

For SPL to have any meaning, one has to know over what range the frequency is being measured. That is why there are weightings and specified range. It works for setting the stage channels since they are wide band, we limit the SPL meter's response to the "C" weighting and we have a very uniform criteria for setting frequencies over the operating range (the ISO 2969 curve). The wild card in this is the typical inaccurate Radio Shack meter that most seem to use. The microphone in it is notoriously not flat and different readings can be had based on how it is aimed, and just which frequencies it thinks deserve emphasis.

But with a subwoofer, we have an inherently band limited frequency range. Particularly for DTS where the subwoofer rolls in at 80 Hz. With bass frequencies, you often can get resonances that can exaggerate particular frequences in a non linear fashion. So say you have a resonance situation, turning up the sub level a small amount might have a big affect on one frequency and show up on the SPL meter but it isn't representitive of the whole subwoofer spectrum.

Steve

------------------

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-19-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this same problem with a DTS 6-D unit. It would either sit at full or on minimum. This was the adjustment on the DTS unit outputs, and not the processor outputs.

If you are having this same problem, then it is the pot for the subwoofer adjustment. Cleaning the pot did nothing, so in our case either the pot or the entire board was bad. I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Dave

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-19-2002 10:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To check for a bad pot, do as Gordon says...use either the REV "C" or the current (DS3?) test disc and play the constant 30Hz tone and measure the output...if the pot (or possibly other bad part) causes the signal to vary greatly then you will know.

Steve

------------------

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 01:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

To calibrate the DTS subwoofer, you should use the DS3 setup and set all levels for 300mV RMS using tone. Then, use the RTA to set CP EQ.

If you have only a SPL meter, use a DTS setup disc and play subwoofer pink noise. When that plays, turn off the surround amplifiers and adjust the DTS subwoofer level trimpot until you get about 88dB SPL in the audirorium (subwoofer speaker). That will get you by until you can adjust properly using tone and the RTA / CP.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-20-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, how exactly do I take this measurement?

I'm asking because I'm getting like 0mV using a multimeter, even though I'm hearing the tone nice and loud. Is that the wrong tool for this?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I understood that Subwoofer channel is not full-range so that measuring the SW is not the same as measuring a stage channel.

But when you set the SW level with an SPL at the DTS unit the CP is already equalized and so there should be no resonances in the auditorium that can change the SPL meter's read.

I thought that since SW is limited 20-80 (or 20-150 with Dolby) and each subwoofer (despite the EQ) has a different frequency response, SPL is not so accurate.

A quasi-OT question: if I'm setting the SW channels with and SPL (instead with a RTA), DTS SW level is 91, and what about Dolby Level using CP500 built-in generator?

Karen,

88dB? Wasn't it with old setup disk? Is it not 91dB now???

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPL meters can not be used to set any sub since they are not a narrow band product
DTS makes a nice breakout board for setting the 300mv with prob sockets on it

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-20-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are reading 0mV yet hear the tone...then you are not measuring correctly! Perhaps you have your meter set to DC? It should be reading AC...perferrably a true RMS meter with an appropriate frequency response.

Setting subwoofer level with an SPL meter is just plain wrong; it doesn't work! As Karen said, you can do a quicky level set to get you by but it has no real bearing in real life. If you don't have the proper tools, don't do the job.

Steve

------------------

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-21-2002 12:41 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct. I was set to DC instead of AC. I'll try again in the morning and then I'll post the result when I return.

Thanks to you all for being such a big help.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: