Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Jaxlights in Mono Systems?

Author Topic: Jaxlights in Mono Systems?
Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering if anyone has installed any type of LED exciters in mono systems. I service a few screens in northern Ontario that are still mono, and probably always will be. IF cyan film ever becomes a reality, they are going to have to do something. I would think the Jaxlight would make the most sense, but how does the line amp react with a mono cell and no noise reduction?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 03:58 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why install a Jax Light at all?? They are awfully noisy things in my experience.

I've never done a mono Jax Light, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I assume you'd use one channel of the pre-amp.
I have done Audio Cine Laser on Westrex 2003 (Century R3) heads that are mono, and it worked very well indeed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2002 08:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ripped out a Jaxlight on a mono installation (installed by others) that was constantly problematic (noisey, low level..etc). I installed a CE ASR-40C system and ALL complaints went away.

So in answer to your original question, yes you can outfit a red reader system on a mono sound system if and when the time comes.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-27-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 892 days since the last post.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-27-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 10:41 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that there's a newer or different preamp now than when the Jaxlite first was released that corrects some of those noise/hum problems. I've found that in some cases you need to run the preamp from a 'wall wart' style transformer/dc supply instead of an exciter lamp supply.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a Jax conversion kit for my Simplex SH1000s, on a mono system. I'll let you know how they work when they are installed.

Question...Do the LEDs burn out? Simply, should I stock a few spare ones, like I do exciter bulbs?

I received 2 (complete kits) LED exciters, made to fit in existing exciter mounts, a green box, and two lengths of lamp cord in each box, and instructions that don't say very much. Still reading the instructions, didn't do the install yet.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gary Crawford
Question...Do the LEDs burn out?
Unless they are "Dead on Arrival", or abused (excessive operating current), they usually don't "burn out" suddenly, but gradually lose light output. The rate they lose output may vary with the batch, and the operating conditions (current, cooling).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: