Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Separating "Attached" Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Separating "Attached" Trailers
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-17-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was over in the Info/Trailers forum and read that there was a memo with "Monsters Inc" about leaving attached trailers in place.

My policy trailer says "...and now, our feature presentation..."

I don't want any more trailers coming after that. It's just dumb. And it makes us look like idiots if we have trailers coming after a grand statement like that, don't you think?

What's up with all the attached trailers anyway? When did this become the norm?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Hallsworth
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 11:33 PM      Profile for Bill Hallsworth   Email Bill Hallsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that the studio has the trailers attached to insure that the trailer is shown with the feature. As for cutting them off, I always do (and put our policy trailer between the feature and trailers). Besides, the trailers that are attached are always on our trailer list we get from the home office.

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 12:45 AM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just find a reasonable place to cut it and put my digital logo between it and the feature, that way the trailer is still shown just like they want. Whether or not it's returned in the end is another story...

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 03:15 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Monsters inc. the 'For the Birds' featurette was attached. I beleve that they didn't want us to place the policy trailers in between the featurette and the feature. We have had no memos placed with any other Buena Vista or Touchtone prints before or since Monsters Inc. What idiot would place thier policy in between them in the first place should be shot.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed For the Birds was part of the movie.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-19-2002 07:21 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, "For The Birds" was advertised with the feature in our newspaper ads, so it was left intact.

That's happened a couple of times, actually. There was a "Cat Dog" cartoon with one of the Nickelodeon movies a while back, and "Luxo, Jr." came attached to "Toy Story 2."

Short subject material is different. I guess I should have said "previews" instead of "trailers."

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't misunderstand your post, I was simply trying to interpret what I believe(I personally built up two prints of Monsters Inc. and read the memos) the memo writer was stating. Whether the writer of said memo knew the difference between trailers, previews, short subject or featurette is up in the air.

In my experience as long as attached or 'hard knocked' trailers(previews) are shown with the feature, all is just fine. All they care about is the audience seeing thier product.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-21-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We close the curtain between our attraction reel and the main feature; naturally whatever they stick on R1 has to come off and go on the attraction reel. On the other hand, when I play features, the attractions that they were advertising have long gone....they are not coming in January or for Thanksgiving, or for whatever else they have as the last frame. If they are no longer in the theatre, they don't even go on the attraction reel, no matter what the memo says.

Oh, and why doesn't the distrib give the exhibitor deductions for running the studio's ad(s)? If the preview titles are not booked in your theatre, then they are no longer a marketing tool that helps you sell tickets to YOUR theatre. You are no longer partners with the distrib, both promoting films that will play in your theatre. They are now simply ads for the distribs product and could even be enticing people to patronize your competition. Seems like it would take a big advertising fee or a hefty deduction to make me put those on my screen. Would any exhibitor run any other company's ads for free?

------------------
Frank Angel,
Dir, Brooklyn Center Cinema and Chief Projectionist operating the magnificent 2500 seat art deco Whitman Theatre (still change-over, still carbon arc, still GORGEOUS light and 6 Channel Total Surround MegaSound.
www.BrooklynCenterCinema.com

www.BrooklynCenter.com

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My interpretation with the nasty note in the can with Monsters, Inc was that they really wanted to make sure that no-one cut off & kept the 'special' trailer for Attack of the Clones.

As a general rule, I leave the attached trailers just as they are - attached to the print! The policy-type trailers that I have to run, work out fine when played before the previews. I'm not particularly in the habit of placing the digital snipes, as the management-types that decides house placement for the prints, seem to like to keep me on my toes, and shuffle most of the prints around, every week.

However, there have been a few times when an attached trailer had to get pulled... Like when U-571 was still playing after Screwed played and left - I yanked the trailer. Or with the fact that we kept a print of Harry Potter for three months, yeah, the Majestic had already played and left - pulled that trailer...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-22-2002 12:09 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long the THE MAJESTIC play before it died, anyway? Three days?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ehhh... just to hazard a *guess*, I think that I ran the Majestic for 3 or 4 weeks.
Hey, even I'm not enough of a dweeb to have memorized my log of print numbers & dates of builds / tear-downs!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-20-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2981 days since the last post.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy necropost, Batman!

Anyway, I thought I'd bring up the subject of attached trailers again. Most people these days have digital ads before the trailers start with their "policies" on them or simply do not run a feature presentation or digital sound trailer. So the question is this: Do you still make a cut between the attached trailer and reel 1?

For me, the answer is yes. We do not have a feature presentation/policy snipe nor do we run digital sound logos, but I still make the cut for a few reasons. Reason #1: It makes it a HELL of a lot easier to remove the attached trailer if need be. Reason #2: There is always gobbledygook between the trailer and reel 1 that will make the Dolby Digital drop out. I remove these frames for a more professional presentation. Reason #3: I am not lazy. Hell, I have to locate the end of the trailer to apply the lights down cue anyway.

This also begs the question: Do you ship the attached trailer back out with the movie? I never do. No complaints about it in my entire projection "career", either.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-20-2010 06:25 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've posted elsewhere: We only show trailers for movies we have booked. They aren't paying me, so I see no need to advertise their films.

Being a calendar art house, we get very few prints with the trailers attached, but we do cut them off and keep them, as we may be running the film in the future and sometimes it is hard to get the trailers late in the release.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pixar films used to come with a letter saying you were not allowed to separate the attached trailer from the print, but I think so many projectionists were ignoring it that they relented and in the past few years, they have said you could place your policy (if any) between the trailer and the short.

I know the Toy Story 3 digital print had its files separated so you could put a policy or whatever in between the "attached" trailer and the short.

On the subject of trailers returned with prints, I used to gripe a lot about trailers not getting sent back, but I stopped worrying about it because in recent years we played enough movies on the break that we got plenty of trailers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: