Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS question
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I noticed the power supply fan on my DTS unit wasn't working at all. Is it possible to buy a new fan seperately, and do local computer stores have it?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, You need to find an AT type supply of the same rating that is in the DTS unit. It is also possible to just replace the fan as well. Just be sure that nothing inside the supply looks like it has been overheated, or cooked.
Mark @ GTS

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy my fans from Jameco electronics by mail order: www.jameco.com

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right - you could just replace the fan, but with most computer type power supplies are you're better off just replacing it. AT type power supplies are getting harder to find, but make sure you get a decent brand - computer power supplies are notorius for poor quality.

I would recommend getting one from PC Power & Cooling for $39 - see here. While this is only a 230 watt (DTS includes a 250), but it is a high quality power supply. It should be more then adequate - DTS 6Ds have a 486, a limited amount of memory, and no hard drive.

For the record here are the specs of a typical DTS 6D power supply:
5V at 25A
12V at 10A
-5V at 0.5A
-12V at 0.5A
250 Watts

PC Power & Cooling power supply:
5V at 23A
12V at 9A
-5V at 0.5A
-12V at 0.5A
230 Watts

Remember when plugging the power supply into the motherboard the black wires will be next to each other.

I will be adding some pictures shortly.

Steven Gorsky

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the pictures I promised.

These are the connectors of an AT power supply, which is what you need. They plug into the motherboard.

This picture shows the correct way they need to be plugged in, otherwise damage will result. Black wires next to each other in the center.

Steven Gorsky

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 11:39 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

If the fan has stopped rotating, it probably means the supply has failed. I would replace it. Be sure to get the correct power supply, we have them made with a built-in load so don't buy just any ole supply because it will fail very quickly.

Please contact your local DTS dealer and order a new fan from them. You can find DTS dealers posted on our web site at www.dtsonline.com/cinema

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with PC Power & Cooling, and the power supply I recommended should be perfect. The only load it requires is 1 amp on the +5V line.

Steven Gorsky

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just get rid of DTS all together and save yourself more headaches. Just speaking from personal experience.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 11:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most of us find DTS highly reliable perhaps you would care to elaborate?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 08:07 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that we've had to replace all the drives in our DTS player (twice if I'm not mistaken), and on at least one occasion, our discs have arrived in the cans in unplayable condition(don't know if they were blank or what, but they were unable to be read by the player, while it had been and continued to read others fine). On several occasions we've not received our discs in the cans, but in a seperate shipment, sometimes a day or two later. It seems to me as if, in the beginning anyway, DTS used some cheap components and its sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. Finally, trailer discs don't always have all the trailers on them, so your sound is flipping back and forth.

I'm not professing that Dolby Digital is flawless, as we have had problems with prints having the digital track screwed up (as a matter of fact our attached Minority Report on one of our prints of Ep 2 won't play in dolby digital), but I've had significantly fewer problems in comparison.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-22-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that this is anecdotal, but I think it represents what is more typical of DTS:

I've had DTS since almost the very beginning. I flew over to Miami in 1993 just to see/hear JURASSIC PARK with the then-new DTS sound format. I sought out various DTS-equipped theatres, seeing the movie over a dozen times in less than a week. The theatre operators, managers and projectionists were all very willing to talk to me about it and encouraged me to push for getting the system in the cinemas I was working for.

Granted, they didn't have the systems in place long enough to experience any problems, but they were very pleased with its simplicity and reliability, which was definitely a concern with a dual system.

I still have my original two DTS-6 units. I took an extended leave-of-absence and the cinemas "promoted" someone to do maintenance and he disconnected them for some reason. I thought maybe they'd started malfunctioning.

But - guess what? They still work! One of them is running EPISODE II and the other one will be running SPIDERMAN as soon as a new reader comes in for it (dead LED). By the way, the "dead" LED has been turned on everyday since 1997. Compare this to my Dolby Digital Cat 701 reader that needs replacement after only 2 years in service.

I think the DTS system offers incredible value for money. It's possible that you got a dud. It's a giant leap to go recommending that we all trash our DTS equipment based solely on the personal experience of one user.

I'm very sorry that your system didn't work out. I get my discs late almost every time but if you're using a reverse-scan LED, a good processor and if you have a good alignment/EQ then the analog soundtrack isn't so bad for those first few days.

It's frustrating to get the discs late - definitely a pet peeve of mine - but I find that certain studios and certain directors have their act together. Spielberg and Lucas movies ALWAYS arrive with the discs. Universal and DreamWorks ALMOST ALWAYS arrive with the discs. I haven't handled an MGM film in a long time, but their discs used to arrive together with the movie.

What I'm driving at is that I'm suspecting that the DTS delays may be due to STUDIO inefficiency; some people seem to get their stuff to DTS in a timely manner while others don't. This may not be the case (Karen could clarify, but I wouldn't blame her for not blowing the whistle on her own clients) but I can't think why else some people/studios seem to be able to get it together (consistently) while others allow themselves to run out of time.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well on the drive issue they used toshiba drives that turned out not to meet the manufactures spec. But in all fairness they lasted a year which was more than the warranty and the kit is not that expensive.
As for disks not arriving that has been mainly a non issue up here and if they are just being thrown in the cans well that is the fault of the depot not DTS. After all they did come out with the yellow ring thingy to protect them.
Also the DA20 was not without problems mainly overheating molex connectors on the powersupply and SDDS is still another story
DTS and SRD are both good value for the money so lets quit the whining

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

If you ever receive damaged discs or do not get discs, all you need do is call me. DTS can be reached by dialing (in USA) toll-free 800-959-4109. I will have to get permission from the studio to send you discs but most of the time discs can be over-nighted. All it takes is a phone call from you to me - or you can email if you prefer. Your disc situation will not improve unless you let me know about it when it occurs.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-22-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me a little curious about something...

Could the caddy drives in the DTS-6 be replaced with the ones from the DTS-6D?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 04:58 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Yes, the drives can be swapped if they are the same model drive. There is nothing different in drives used in the DTS-6D vs. the DTS-6.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: