Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Seeking Recommendations fo Fast Fold Screen Finishes

Author Topic: Seeking Recommendations fo Fast Fold Screen Finishes
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 03:23 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 10.5'x14' Da-Lite Fastfold screen. I believe the screen that we currently have has the Da-Mat finish, but It was torn last year, and it sounds like it should be replaced as it most likely can't be properly repaired. The screen is used for outdoor 16mm screenings, but I am new on the job and haven't seen the current screen in action yet. However, it would seem that getting a screen with the highest possible gain would be to our advantage. In this case, it would be the pearlescent, which has a gain of 1.5. As far as I know, they have always used a 350w Bell and Howell Filmosound projector, but I am not sure of the throw yet. One other concideration is that people will be viewing the film from many angles. How would a pearlescent screen affect what people see from more obtuse angles? I will be seeing the set up next week, so i should be able to provide more info then. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have actually had good luck repairing torn screens with white athletic tape. You know, the kind a football coach uses to tape up injuries with.

As long as you can get the edges of the torn area to match back together again, or at least come close you should be able to do it. Tape it on both sides if you can so there's more grip from the tape. On a matte screen, if you work carefully the repair will be hardly noticible unless you are looking for it.

I have done this on three separate occasions:

One time when some idiot flicked a lit cigarette at the screen and made a burn mark about 2 inches long and a 1/2 inch wide. I got up on a ladder and taped over it carefully. Unless you were standing right, close to the screen you couldn't tell it was there. Even then, the only way you could tell was because there was an area where there weren't any perforations.

Another time was when some usher got fired and tried to get revenge. He and a couple of his buddies took a knife and cut a 3 foot gash near the bottom of the screen. I had to use heavy white thread to "knit" the gash back together before I taped over it but once it was done it was almost impossible to notice if you were sitting three rows back.

I can't guarantee that this will work in all cases but I've had good luck with it. When you are faced with the choice of having a huge gash in your screen or else trying to repair it you probably don't have anything to lose. You're probably going to have to eventually replace the screen anyway. (All three of the ones I did were eventually replaced.)

At least this will buy you some time till you can sit down and think about what you want to do.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:17 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Randy. I should have mentioned that the screen is currently taped, and the tape got my predecessor through last summer. As I said, I personally haven't seen it in action yet, but the folks that have think it should be replaced.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey dokey! Sounds like you have that part well in hand!

The screen I have in my auditorium now is a 1.5 gain. (Hurley Super-Glo) It's pretty nice. You get even light and the customers sitting at the edges can see pretty well. This is a "Continental Style" theatre with the aisles down the sides instead of the middle, so we have a pretty wide dispersion of people. I don't know how far off center your people will sit. In my estimation, it won't be too bad.

There will probably will be some fall-off toward the edges of the viewing area but you have to think in terms of trade off. Will the increase due to the gain be worth it for the decrease in the width of the viewing area. I would think that if you have a "festival" type crowd where people just pull up blankets and lawn chairs wherever they want, nobody will notice. People will seem to just, for no particular reason, all of a sudden pack themselves more toward the center of the field.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2002 07:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to FHF

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: