Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » NO DTS DISCS ... AGAIN!!!! :( (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NO DTS DISCS ... AGAIN!!!! :(
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 05:06 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now don't get me wrong .... DTS is the BEST (IMHO) .... but I'm getting tired of having to ring to chase discs!!!!! Tonight's problem?? I have my midnight premiere of Star Wars EpII if FOUR HOURS and guess what? ... NO DISCS!!!! ... don't spose there's anyone out there who knows how to make ISO images, has a screamingly fast net connection and no upload limit????

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 06:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have they told you why you wouldn't be getting them? We have ours.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2002 06:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, our offer to host emergency downloads for people in your situation still stands, but the response is always the generic "discs are owned by the studio" and no one at dts seems concerned enough to pursue getting official permission for us to do so. Sorry Matt.

Just get with a local theater the way most of us do when we receive damaged discs and burn you a set.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:44 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Brad, if only it were that easy ..... We are the only theatre in town, there are others 30 mins south, and an 1 1/2 horus north .... but alas, they have no disc either. Here's the kicker... one of our other cinemas down the coast received their discs ..... but guess what? ... they don't have DTS ... Murphy strikes again!

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:47 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually ... here's a question.... Do they produce the discs for 'every' print in existence? ... Or are the discs limited?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2002 07:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know as far as US is concerned there is a set for every print. Couldn't tell you about Aussieland.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt,

Call the film distribuator right away and request discs. Also, be sure all future films are ordered in "DTS" - it should help to fix the problem.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

It isn't that we (DTS) is not interested, the studios have flat out said "NO."

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2002 07:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how I wish we had a studio rep here on Film-Tech to explain some of that crazy warped logic.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2002 05:38 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt

In Australia, they use a percentage system ratio of prints to discs.

Logic seems not to enter into it.

Email me your address and I'll send you a set.

John

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2002 06:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matt

Just read your other post in 'How Does It Look' thread. I guess I don't need to send them now, eh?

John

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, have the studios specifically been asked? If so what was their reason. To date, you have never indicated that the question has ever even been queried to the studios, hence my comment. Defective and missing discs is a real problem sometimes and this is a real solution.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Believe me, I am very senstive to the fact that some theaters are not getting discs. I know this continues to be an issue for theaters overseas. We are working on correcting that and it will take some time. It is very complicated because the company that handles the distribution of domestic films overseas is quite often a different company.

We have spoken to several studios about posting sound files of their films but they are not interested at this time. I am not at liberty to specify the studios.

Karen at DTS

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-16-2002 02:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the studios be more amenable to allowing downloads if there were some way of authenticating that the person doing the downloading is somehow associated with a theatre which is exhibiting the film for which he is downloading the ISO disk images? CD burners and high-speed net connections are common enough now that this would be a great advantage for repertory cinemas and others who don't always get DTS disks.

I'm thinking along the lines of this: Projectionist calls the film depot and says "where the heck are my DTS disks." Film depot says "we don't have them, but give us the print number, the name of the theatre, the title of the film, and the serial number of your DTS unit." Given this information, the depot could then provide the theatre with a key which could be used to download (or decrypt) the disk images which would only be valid for a limited time.

This would prevent the disk images from falling into the hands of film pirates (which is presumably what makes the studios nervous), while ensuring that legitimate exhibitors have access to the materials that they need to present the studios' films in the best possible manner. This also provides a means of tracking which images were downloaded and by whom in the event of suspected misuse of the data.

(And why don't the foreign distributors make one set of disks per print, anyway? If the print itself costs $1500 to make, what's another $1.00 or so for a set of DTS disks?)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'sounds like you're presenting technical solutions to a political problem, Scott. I suspect that the studios are not really concerned so much with the fear of piracy of DTS discs, but rather that they are large companies and are resistent to change without adequate motivation.

So, it seems to me that the way to get this to happen is to convince them that it's a real problem. Personally, while I do see it as a "significant annoyance," it hasn't reached "real problem" for me. (Though, as an aside, I am kind of bummed lately about getting sneak preview prints too early for the DTS discs to exist. Makes me long for SR-D...)

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: