Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Light bulb changes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Light bulb changes
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 08:12 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing bulbbs in my 5 story high auditorium is almost impossible.
The lamps all have lenses on them, Do I give up and put side lighting on the walls?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-14-2002 08:48 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Side wall lighting in large auditoriums is completely ineffective. I've been at two large format theaters with side lighting and one with ceiling and side lights. In order to get enough light to the center of the auditorium, lamp power must be very bright. Which, of course, makes dimmable "atmospheric" lighting pointless.

The only effective way to light the middle of a large auditorium is ceiling lighting. This makes either scaffolding or catwalks a necessity. Of course, architects and lighting designers never think past the installation.

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you could use a Genie, right Adam? But you need to watch that first step Sorry Adam, I could not help that one

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-14-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure, Bob. Bring up the Genie lift story. They are much easier to pick up and move once they're laying on their side facing down the stairs. Don't you have four prints of Episide 2 to build?

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm maybe I could rig some kind of a swing.... or is there a 5 story high step ladder scaffolding is to expensive to change a light bulb.....hmmm this is a problem,,,,HELPPPPPPPPPP

------------------
Jan Hackett

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did your predecessors change them?

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 11:05 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A story is generally 10 ft, so you are talking about 50 feet. The normal MaGill light changing poles max out at about 30 feet. If there are lenses, then the problem is even worse.

I think you may be in the ugly situation of finding a company that will give you a contract for changing ALL the lamps out once a year. Ouch.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see any other way around it either, unfortunately.

...but it begs the inevitable question - how many projectionists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 03:55 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what a difference a few decades makes. In our effort to save the Loew's Kings (Brooklyn NY) from the wrecking ball, we opened it for a special Save the Kings Show. In the course of getting it ready for this event, I had to literally go through every inch of that grand old palace; it became apparent that the designers took everything into consideration. EVERY light was accessable, even the hundreds of 25w bulbs in a double cove 6 stories above the orchestra -- catwalks and crawl spaces were all strategically placed so that every bulb was if not easily changed, certainly changeable with a little effort. The huge chandeliers all had hand winchs that lowered them down to the floor so the bulbs could be replaced and crystal could be cleaned -- image that -- CLEANING theater fixtures. Even the ornamental draperies that hung in the arches could be lowered to the orchestra floor to be vacuumed. It was an amazingly well designed building. Nothing was overlooked in 1929.

On the other hand, our small 400 seat Cantor Theatre has no catwalk and every bulb is recessed at angles (making the clamping lamp pole useless). Scoops on the side walls that aim at the ceiling can only be reached by 30ft ladders which are difficult to secure on a sloped orchestra floor. The mask motor is positioned 15 ft on a wall requiring you to wedge a ladder in between two walls only 4 feet apart, making setting the stops a real acrobatic feat. Why this motor was not placed on the floor next to the screen is a mystery. But then again, why the ceiling and walls and columns in a cinema are painted semi-gloss WHITE, is a bigger mystery. This was designed and built in 1994. Nuff said.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 04:21 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael:
Answer to the question, how many projectionists does it takes to change a light bulb?
I've heard, one to hold the bulb and two to rotate the ladder.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 06:23 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure that when the lamps are replaced, it's done with the right type...there are long life special bulbs available that are much like the ones used in traffic lights, with heavy-duty filaments. If you never bring them all the way up to 100% (assuming they're dimmable) they should last you at least ten years. I've got lights in my house that were installed in 1985!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's architects and engineers don't have a lock on stupid though they seem to work harder at it. Our theatre has lots om small bulbs in coves etc. with No access from other than a ladder. The difference is that Frank's Loews was designed by Rapp & Rapp who were master theatre designers and our Byrd was designed by a local architect who did a great job on the structural aspects and sight lines and most things but apparently thought light bulbs lasted forever because any bult that can't be seen directly is difficult to touch much less change. Example is the auditorium dome 80 x 40 ft ringed by colored lights in a cove intended to be reached from the attic. Trouble is the edge of the dome is too close to the ceiling to slide under and the fixtures are too far out to reach and have clipped on roundels so that a bulb stick is out too. The only way we have figured is to have a midget with no fear of heights go under and crawl around the 3 ft wide edge 68 ft above the floor changing bulbs as he goes. Yes I know midget is not p.c. The dimmers on these bulbs were long ago set not to go more that half way up. We believe these bulbs have not been changed in the 74 years the place has been open.

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre where I worked was built in 1939, and the architect (a local guy) thoughtfully designed a crawlspace into the ceiling where we could change the auditorium bulbs from above.

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible that there's a forgotten entrance to an attic crawlspace? What vintage is this theatre--if it's five stories tall?

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am glad to know I am not the only one to have this problem caused by poor design. The theatre is 2 1\2 years old. The long life bulbs were installed however many blew out at 6 months. I can reach the back row and the front row of lights but the stadium seating makes it impossible to attempt the middle rows. The question was asked why so high my ceiling? It is a large format auditorium that cost a million bucks to build. You would think one would have designed a way to change bulbs.....! I do not believe there is a catwalk..that would be too easy. The blue prints do not show one. Anyone know where I can get that buglar gear they always use in the movies...????????

------------------
Jan Hackett

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 10:04 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH and I do have an estimate for sccaffolding 4000$ fotr the contractor to set up and change bulbs....OUCH maybe I will just let the all burn out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: