Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal Black Face Automation

Author Topic: Regal Black Face Automation
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2002 11:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Super Highlite 2 console that has a supposedly built by Regal Theatres Automation in it. The console actually had the Rand Theatres Logo silk screened on it. This is a black face rack mount automation with abunch of toggle switches on it and a yellow sync light. Its made of one giant PCB and alot of relays. It is working fine but if anyone knows the terminal block hook up connections for this unit please let me know. We have it up and running but would like more info as to cue detector layout, sound processor connections, house lights, etc. Thanks!
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 12:30 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

Up here in some of the Regal's they use "SERIES 1" automation by Big Sky.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

I worked for Rand Theatres in San Antonio briefly in 1989. We used the Super Highlight 2 Consoles with the Rand emblem on them. The automations we had were Eagle Automations designed by Ed Glenn. Unfortunately we never had any kind of documentation on them. I know that isn't much help but maybe someone else will know where to go from here.

Rick

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
I went back and reread your and I'm almost certain from your description that the Eagle is what you have there. The ones that we had at Rand Had such a short wiring harness that you could not even pull it out of the console.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick,
Yea, thats the one. It does work great but I need to interface sound and light dimmers yet. Actually it looks pretty nice, but is a bit limited in its running options. Probably a good unit for the candy girl/operator though...pretty much foolproof. Who was Ed Glenn?
Mark @ GTS

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed Glenn,who passed away several years ago, came out of retirement to oversee the installation of booth equipment for Rand's "big expansion" just before they went bust. Before that he had been one of the top dogs with UA's projection and sound department.
I did, at one time, have a couple of sheets of paper that had the terminal strip connections. It was from a UA theatre in Jackson, MS that had the Super Highlight 2 and the Eagle automation. I'll see if I can find it or check with an associate to see if he has a copy.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2002 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick, That would be a big help!
Mark

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 04:13 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

I found the information you were looking for. I will email scans of the sheets, there are 2, to you in jpeg format.

Rick

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Mark said in an email to me that there are still many of these Eagle automations out there and that I should send it to Brad to be included in the Manuals section, I will be submitting this to him. Judging from the activity in this thread though, I don't know how many will be interested.

Rick

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick:

Please do send the info in for posting. After all, you never know what you'll find when you get to a particular theater and this info would be helpful.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am forwording it to a projector equipment dealer that has a bunch of these in Super Highlites for sale. He didn't have a clue as to the layout so thanks again!
MArk @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: