Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP-45 Power Supply

Author Topic: Dolby CP-45 Power Supply
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-12-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dolby CP-45 that only works in Bypass mode and the fault is not in the external power transformers (I've changed them).

Do I need a new back panel board? Or is there something else to try first?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 11:02 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the power supply status leds lighting up? (plus and minus 12, and plus and minus 6 volts if I recall).

If those are not coming on and you are sure the transformers are putting out a.c., might be an idea to start looking for a bridge problem.

There may be a fuse in this thing, but I can't recall ever seeing one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also is the correct transformer being used the backup one for a CP500 looks the same but is a different voltage

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-12-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord: I checked them by swapping them out with another processor and they worked on that one.

But speaking of similar looking power supply units...

Are the Normal/Backup units identical?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the normal and by-pass supplies on a CP-45 are 24 volts, ac.

The CP-500 uses 16-volt transformers.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power supplies are on the large processor board, switchmode type. I had some of theese fail at a customer's site. You had to replace the whole processor board, but it was a swapout replacement, and a standardized repair fee.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-04-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have double-checked the following:

I have 4 LED's indicating power on the Cat. 511.

There is indeed a fuse on the Cat. 511 and I've changed it - I've seen them work in Bypass mode with a screwy fuse.

The transformers actually have "CP-45" printed on them. I have switched the one from Bypass to the one for Normal and it still only works in Bypass.

Do I need to replace the Cat. 512 board (back panel) or the Cat. 511 (main board)? As a point of interest, the 512 doesn't appear on the Dolby price list.

If I recall correctly, I've swapped out the 511 with one that's known to be working, but I could double-check that next visit.

But that's why I'm looking at the Cat. 512...it's the only thing I haven't changed and it's also where the power supplies get attached.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: