Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ceiling tiles in booth

Author Topic: Ceiling tiles in booth
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 09:31 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have accoustic ceiling tiles in my booth that promote way too much dust in my booth and affect airpressure. Is there an alternative tile that would fit into my existing ceiling grid that would not produce so much dust.........

|  IP: Logged

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there dust coming from above the tiles? if so replacing them with something else might not help.
You could paint the existing tiles to seal in any dust. (remove them first )
or try normal suspended ceiling tiles.
If you tried something like pieces of 1/4" luaan (plywood) you would, of course lose your acoustic properties; but eliminate any dust caused by the tiles.
How are the acoustic tiles affecting air pressure?
Jonathan

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I haven't found ceiling tiles to be a dust problem, if you feel yours are, you can get the sealed type like are supposed to be used above food areas (they have a platic like coating).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-11-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luan plywood would not meet code due to fire. Metal soundlock metal panels as used in food areas such as a typical Burger King would be good.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 09:06 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Try this link, you may find it helpful.
lance
http://www.ceilings.com

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-13-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The tiles in my ceiling are 1/2-inch fiberglass acoustic tiles with additional insulation rolled out across to top. The booth in Dearborn had 2-inch fiberglass tiles. The bottom (or face) is a black sealed finish.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2002 08:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

I still don't quite understand how the tiles are the cause of excess dust. Do you mean they themselves are dropping particulate? As Jonathan asks, is the dust coming from the area above the drop ceiling? From the air supply duct perhaps? I would try to determine the exact source of the dust before going through all the trouble of painting or replacing the tile. All you may need is a replacement air filter on your heating/cooling system. Plus, I certainly wouldn't want to give up the acoustical advantage of having sound deadening material on the ceiling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2002 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this at the Iwerks Theatre here in SLC too. One bump of a ceiling tile releases alot of dust into the booth. I think this dust is not all from the tile but mainly construction dust that has settled on them. Also, the tiles used here are very prone to flaking particles on their own if bumped or jarred. What ever you install should have the same fire rating as the ones that are in place.
Mark @ GTS

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That I can see -- construction dust on the tiles. We still get plaster powder from places where they've drilled holes and didn't thoroughly vacuumed the area. That stuff is tenatuous -- you vacuum and vacuum and there is always some left.

But here's the thing, if it is just as Mark says, which seems the most logical, that construction gack has settled above the tile, then you are going to have to thoroughly clean and vacuum all the area. If you vacuum the tiles themselves, then there really won't be any need to replace them. Unless there is the other possibility that these are just poor quality tile and they are indeed decomposing enough that any disturbance of them will always result in junk falling from them. You should be able to determine if this is the case by simply taking one or two down and giving them a good smack. If they are themselves the cause of the dust, then your best bet would be to replace them. But you will have to clean away any of that dust remains before putting up the new tiles. Make ready the Super Suck Shop Vac.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: