Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Restored daters, tags, and Intermission films

Author Topic: 35mm Restored daters, tags, and Intermission films
Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 10:45 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have over 6000 feet of 35mm vintage Intermission films, daters, and tags from the 30's to the 60's now being restored at the lab and will be for sale in the next few weeks on my site along with the already large list of in-stock films in 35mm now available. Don't forget to bookmark the site and check back often. You won't beleive the one of a kind gems we just found recently thanks to some collectors and a closed drive-in who has some near mint footage from the 50's. I am investing many thousands to restore these films so please help support my continuous efforts to bring back these great films from the past and preserve them for generations who never had the privilage to see them when they were new.

------------------ http://www.drive-infilm.com

------------------
http://www.drive-infilm.com

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to get more of this type of stuff on video, as I don't have my own 35mm projector (yet!) There are a couple drive-in double feature DVDs that include some good intermission trailers, but I want more!

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse:

The best source for this kind of stuff on video is Mike Vraney at Something Weird Video in Seattle, 206-361-3759. He had hours of old daters, clocks and logos available on VHS and could possibly make up a DVD-R for you.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Something Weird Drive-In DVDs that are great, but I had to pass on their others when I saw that those had the letters "SWV" onscreen during the trailers! I can't have any respect for a video company that does that (nor for any broadcasting company, which is why I decided not to work in television, but that's another story.)
I did read that they've stopped using the onscreen letters on their newer transfers, but they have hours of old stuff with it already on and they're using that on some of their discs. I would've bought all their other drive-in discs but because of this, I'm waiting to find out which ones don't have them (I have "The Defilers/Scum of the Earth" and "Just for the Hell of It/Blast-off Girls" which are clean, but looked at "Violent Years/Girl Gang" and one other and those both had the letters on them.)

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 06:49 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derek, on your "Drive-In Nights" video, you also put a visible "bug" down on the bottom right of the screen. Why did you choose to do that? I thoroughly enjoyed the video (I smile anytime anyone now mentions a "throne room" ), but the "bug" does take away from the value of the transfer.

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 11:13 AM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's get back to talking FILM and forget about VIDEO and BUGS.
www.drive-infilm.com

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 06:22 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, to prevent copying, the solution is to make the original unwatchable so I don't buy ANY version of it instead of possibly getting a bootleg. Makes sense to me!

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2002 07:20 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have gotten way off the original subject of the post...FILM...so I am not responding to any more posts about video. This is a FILM post and a FILM related site. http://www.drive-infilm.com

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I DON'T watch TV, for that very reason! I have even ruled out the option of working in that business because of it- if that much disregard for picture quality is considered acceptable I want no part of it, and honestly don't think I could handle working with people who find that a good idea. The first DVD I mistakenly buy with a BUG on it will be mailed back to the company with a promise to NEVER buy a single other product from that company.
Why not project stuff onto the corner of theater screens during the movies while we're at it???
If I ever get my trailers transferred to video, I wouldn't appreciate them being used without at least some credit, but I would never DREAM of ruining them by putting a logo on them.
BTW bugs on TV are used not so much to prevent taping as they are to promote the "identity" and "brand recognition" of the network, which shows how backwards the people in that business think. Instead of being known for the network that has those good shows they become known as the network that has that annoying logo on the screen!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I also found it totally annoying that there was the logo on the DVD. There was NO mention of that when it was advertised and spent the bucks. I wonder if the 35mm and 16mm daters have the logo.....

>>> Phil

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derek,
Why did you delete the text of your 2nd and 3rd posts. I'm just curious. I had read the 2nd, but not the 3rd.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2002 10:55 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not project stuff onto the corner of theater screens during the movies while we're at it???

That'll probably happen. It already costs so much to produce a movie that studios have to team up to afford it. They already use product placements. The next step might be corporate sponsorship. I can envision a sports-oriented movie sponsored by Nike with a little Swish logo in the corner.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or what about corporate naming rights. Arenas, Stadiums and Convention Centers cash in by allowing corporate sponsors to pay to name the facility; why not do the same with movies? Attack of the Clones could become The Verizon Wireless Movie and Spiderman could be [i]Pepsifilm[/i}. Imagine the possibilities.

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 08:13 AM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those corner "bugs" on network broadcasts are getting to the point of absurdity. I was at a neighbor's house the other night, and they had The Simpson's on, I believe The screen had the Fox logo in one bottom corner and I-don't-remember-what in the other bottom corner. And then a news flash about a tornado or severe storm started crawling along the bottom of the screen. Except that it was BEHIND those bugs, which took up 1/2 of the total length of the bottom. Hence, I could only read one or two words at a time in that small gap. "If this had been an actual emergency ... " -- well, apparently it WAS, but those bugs didn't move. Sheesh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: