Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best choice for new lamphouse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best choice for new lamphouse
Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 04:54 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

At our little student run cinema we're about to do a few upgrades to our somewhat ageing equipment (a GK20 mech with god knows what lamphouse on and some 'should have been got rid of 10 years ago' lenses). The new lenses and replacement analogue reverse scan soundhead have been pinned down, but we have a few options for a replacement lamphouse, pretty much dependent on the £££'s in the bank.

The two options we have are a new Strong Super Lume-x or a refurb 5yr old Orcon 2500B (I'm not familiar with this one) for about 2 grand less. If anyone has any experience with either of these, is the Orc a reasonable product, or more simply, is the Strong worth the extra 2000? For the record we're running a 2k bulb and hopefully will be putting in a new Irem recitifier also.

Cheers,

Rob

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The super lumex wins hands down

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A Super Lume X vs. an ORC? This is really no contest. Don't even consider the ORC.

Do check out Christie's current SLC line of lamphouses though. I think they are the best on the market right now.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 05:12 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another option would be a Kneisley Xenex II ( metal reflector ) which Bell Theatre Supply distributes.....which is a souped up Lumex type for a few less dollars if you are buying new.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

We currently use Super Lumex in our smaller theatres. I really think that the reflectors in these things are some of the best made. Discounting other limiting factors, they really throw a ton on light onto the screen. I would definitely take the Super Lumex.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob how much do you have to spend? Because i might have a lamphouse for sale from here at York. We have alot of stock in our wherehouse in Cambridge too which might do you good.

Also Future Projections from London are probalby the best choice of a supplier here in the U.K, they will be cheaper than any of the major suppliers.He has s/h irems too.
Office Number for Future Proj is. 0207 3528 0606
Youll have to bob in to City Screen sometime and say hello too!
Cya
Darren
P.S Have a S/H superb condition. steadya s a rock Vic 5 sat here which is looking for a good home, Ex our Screen 1 , just been replaced with a Vic 8

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Kinoton would be my choice for #1 in the lamphouse department. Christie SLH, then Strong.
Mark @ GTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading Mark's comment I feel I should add the disclaimer that I have not seen a Kinoton in action yet. My recommendation earlier in the thread was based on seeing pretty much everything in the market except for a Kinoton.

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the ORC really that bigger pile of ? For the kind of cash thats sitting in the bank the difference in light output that I'd get between something like the Strong or the Christie would really need to be quite a lot for the extra to seem worthwhile.

Brad - I never thought I'd see you recommending Christie products. Sorry.... thinking of Joe there for a second

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok let me try and give an analogy. Imagine a flashlight running off of two AA batteries behind your projector. Now imagine having the actual sun behind your projector. See the difference?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-06-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super Lumex. They are proven....

Don't fiddle with the ORC - it is just too old, and parts are getting scarce.

Rick McCluney
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Rick McCluney   Email Rick McCluney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. The Super-Lumex provides much better light, is much more reliable, and in the long run cheaper to maintain.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can absolutely reccommend the Super-Lum-Ex. Its been around a long time and you'll get great life from your lamps provided you install a large enough exhaust blower. 2KW = 900CFM min. Our customers easily get 3000 hrs out of lamps this way. There are also hundreds available used to be had out there.
Mark @ GTS

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 09:25 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ORC was great in the 1970's and early 80's when comparable product from other manufacturers was poor in comparison. Today's reflector and focusing mechanisms ( with improved cinema lenses ) are miles ( or km if you prefer )ahead than what is offered in a ORC 2500....this unit was the common light source sold with Westrex belt drive machine.
Mark.....Kinoton glass or metal reflector set up? We are firing up a retrofitted 7kw Cinemeccanica light module ( + rectifier ) tomorrow which uses a glass reflector, in a 5kw console that was borderline in filling a screen in a 700 seat stadium house........
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products www.tvpmiami.com

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong Super Lume-x and Christie SLC/SLH lamphouses are both excellent. For a power supply....IREM or LPA

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: