Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MTS Folding????? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: MTS Folding?????
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got wind today of an industry rumor that MTS is abandoning all of its film division and is going to deal only with digital projection systems. Apparenty MTS employees were notified last Friday of this and many are cleaning out their desks today.
While I have not been able to confirm this I wonder if anyone else that posts here can confirm it........I always wondered how long Soundelux would keep it going.......
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-06-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say it isnt so! You know how many television sets I purchased over the decades because it boasted "WITH MTS STEREO"! I didn't even know what the hell they were talking about then, and MTS just sounded so cool when put in front of STEREO.

Dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If so isn't that a chance for others to greatly increase their business? Maybe get some of the newly sprung techs to affiliate as independents. Weren't there some chains for which MTS was the primary service provider?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I think that you are thinking of a different MTS. I believe Mark is referring to Media Technology Source based out of the Twin Cities.

Steve,
I believe that they are the main service provider and installer for Marcus in the nidwest. I'm not sure about other chains though.

I haven't heard about this yet, Mark. What do you know? MTS certainly did not have the best reputation for their theater installs and service, butthey certainly employ(ed) some knowledgeable folks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2002 03:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Dave is jokin'. I laughed. Funny thing is that the TV version of MTS, as frightenly average as it is, is still better than the MTS that is the topic of this thread. I used to work for a theater chain where MTS was our supplier. We would have to anticipate running out of things and order them months and months in advance if we hoped to only get stuff a few weeks late. They were BAD. Plus their inventory of booth supplies was pretty limited.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 03:30 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, if you were joking, I'm sorry I was too dense to get it. MTS has quite the rep 'round here, and I didn't know if they were known as well outside of the midwest.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTS has indeed abandoned at least the service part of their operation. We were informed that they would no longer be our service company starting mid April (I believe it was the 16th). Several of the guys from the MSP office have split off and formed their own service company. I know Dan Jorgenson and Loyd Lano are two of them. In my opinion this is a good thing, the best of the MTS techs (there were some good ones) will now be able to independently provide service.

As far as booth supplies, we've been buying from CPI for over a year now anyway. No change there.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-06-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, the rumors are true. I just got off the phone with a "former employee" of MTS. A lot of people have been let go already, and this particular individual leaves friday. The process that was supossed to take a month took just 5 days. It is a mess down there.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-06-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This does not surprise me. I suspected something like this might be in the mill when I saw the MTS guys and talked with Rafnson at Sho-West. It looked like a whole new crew with him except for Ayotte. That struck me like something was in the secret MTS pipeline that was about to emerge at the public end. I know how they operate.

Ayotte was really not interested in talking to me. I was greeted with a scowl on his face when he was waltzing down the corridore with his nose curled up like Lady Astore at the Paris during Sho-West 2002. His reaction looked like he never saw me, but I know different. I thought it was funny.

In my opinion, Lloyd Lano and Dan Jorgenson were very good technicians. I wish them well. Dewey White, if you are a lurker, I want to thank you for the many things you taught me in this industry. Ron Bendlin, thank you for the good service you gave me when I purchased equipment form MTS.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 11:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is the reasoning behind this? Surely it was a profitable operation.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-06-2002 11:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it was. However, MTS apparently has a bad reputation in the mid-west for servicing, based on what I have witnessed as well as what some of the Film-Tech members have posted.

There was no money in it anymore, at least not with that company. I don't think they lost money on it, but I do think there was not enough money in it to make it worth the effort.

When I worked for that company, Rafnson told me the sum of the accounts that were collectable. It was nothing to sneeze at, and some were very slow payers. With all respect to MTS, I will not cite the value Rafnson cited. But since the downturn of the industry, I can understand why he wanted to dump the service work.

MTS is a profitable company, but Rafnson had to change his strategy to keep it profitable. I certainly cannot fault him for that. I would do the same as he or anyone else would when the handwriting on the wall popped up a bunch of red flags. Rafnson is no dummy......He is, for the most part, a good business man. I think he might have been even better if he would have taken a field trip to see what the real world was like in the projection booth. Like most executives, he views the bottom line, and nothing more.

His company is profit driven. Rafnson has to pay his bills, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2002 04:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Nothing against the good techs there but if Rafnson was a really good buisness man his quality of service work would have stood out from the rest. Unfortunately it never did, nor could. I don't really think they will be missed at all in the long haul.
When I ran Midwest Theatre Supply back in the Chicago Burbs I kicked their butt big time...with the help of at least one other Film-Tech member that posts here frequently. All I had to do to accomplish this was to do good work and take care of my customers. Word of me spread like wildfire and I soon had many of their Wisconsin customers. I even had calls from Marcus theatres wanting quotes on projects they were doing. I turned them down though as I was just a small shop that handled independents. I still only will service the indies to this day. I covered the Northern half of Indiana, Northern half of Illinois, and the southern half of Wisconsin, although I had several customers even farther than that. Many of my old customers still buy from me and wish there was still good service available back there. I have to laugh now as I turned down a job offer from Mel when I shut Midwest Theatre Supply down.

I also hope the good techs from MTS that get together can finally run things on their own the way they should be...and that is easy, all they have to do is good quality work. I also hope they join up here and start posting.
Mark

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-07-2002 11:58 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things are happening fast with MTS. Ayotte retired last summer and has been spending his time on the boat, from what I hear. Rafnson left a little over a week ago when he was asked to retire by Sound Deluxe. I understand that Mel Hopland is gone now as well. I was told that when the deal with Liberty Media died that the people at Sound Deluxe were upset and they know absolutely nothing about theatres. I know that the Los Angeles dealership under Jerry Vanderite has been flourshing and my contacts don't believe it will close...it may split off. Time will tell.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking from firsthand experience with corporate accounting & their thought processes, "profitable" is often not good enough any more. Dynamix (game company I worked for until last year) was a profitable divison of its corporate owner Vivendi Universal, but we were shut down anyway. The reasons are complicated and related to US tax code, but suffice to say we were not losing money.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-07-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I had to say something nice about the guy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: