Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » syncing after show stop

Author Topic: syncing after show stop
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 06:59 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to resync sound with film after a show stop automatically? Remember large format Iwerks system. Do I need to buy something? Is it possible?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-03-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of sound does that system use?

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iwerks cd rom...dts

------------------
Jan Hackett

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-03-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the timecode is visably printed on the film itself then maintaining synbc should not be an issue
If you are using a shaftencoder then that can be a bit more dicy

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it's possible. We use a timecode generator which generates SMPTE timecode from a shaft encoder on the projector. If the projector stops, the timecode generator stops with the projector. When the projector starts running again, the timecode continues to generate from the point that it stopped at. When the automation gets the showend cue, the timecode generator stops putting out timecode and reverts to 59:52:00 and waits for the show to start again.

Rick

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what I have ...Iwerks tech is comming tonight so I will ask him...........thanks

------------------
Jan Hackett

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 12:12 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan Hackett, If there is timecode on the print, you should resync automatically even breaking in the middle of the show. From your description, it sounds like you are using TACH and a E175 timecode converter - in that case, its a little harder. Send me an email for more information.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are dealing with first generation Iwerks show control. Our 6D dts is used for rear window captioning only now. What is a DTS E-175 and how expensive. How does the time code work differently thsn whst I am doing now?

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon said,"If the timecode is visably printed on the film itself then maintaining synbc should not be an issue
If you are using a shaftencoder then that can be a bit more dicy"

I believe that is what we are using... a shaftencoder.

------------------
Jan Hackett

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-09-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it will depend on how the Time Code then is being generated
Some generators will reset whe the biphase stops
You won't know until you try it

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I will give it a shot tonight during downtime.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, does your print have timecode? If it does not, it must use something like the E175 (timecode converter) to send timecode to the DTS-6D player that can read either DTS or SMPTE timecode (programmed by a jumper inside the 6D).

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-09-2002 10:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they have an Iwerks IDA (Iwerks custom version of the DTS P8) player and no E175. The 6D is used for the "Rear Window" ADA.

The projector bi-phase tach signal is processed by show control, and in that particular system, there is no provision for re-starting and continuing a show.

>>> Phil

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 11:34 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Phil.... Can I come visit you and pick your brain???? How can I upgrade my IDA without paying a fortune?? Thanks so much to all of you for helping me out with this...............You too Karen and Gordon and Richard....................

------------------
Jan Hackett

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: