Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » About a Boy / Greenpeace Commercial (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: About a Boy / Greenpeace Commercial
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the following letter in my Pearl and Dean add can this week:

Dear Sir or Madam

About a Boy / Greenpeace Commercial

It has been bought to our attention that a commercial for Greenpeace may have been attached to the beginning of your print of About a Boy. Would you please remove this commercial , as it has not been authorised by either ourselves or the Cinema Advertising Association, and therefore you will not recieve any revenue foe exhiditing it.

If you have any questions regading this please do not hesitate to contact me on.......

-------------------------

Personally since i am a second run university cinema I'm not running About a Boy now.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd absolutely follow the instructions on programming stuffed in a film can for a different film. Yeah, right. I'd write a personal letter to Daffy Duck first.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running 'About a Boy' at the moment, the only attached trail is a teaser for a film called 'The Guru', and it is so crap that i can only assume the purpose of it is to ensure that anybody which views the teaser gives the film a very wide berth. The only occasion i've heard an Ad to be attached recently in the UK has been the Disney Paris one on Monsters Inc.

Jerry, Michael didn't recieve this note in a can for another film, but from his contracted advertising supplier, something he didn't fully explain considering most readers of the post would be outwith the UK.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the clarification, Andy. I still think it is an unprofessional way of sending messages, and would be concerned about forged messages in such a situation.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too recived a Fax about this 'Green Peace' ad, but as Andy said, there is only a trailer for 'The Guro' on the front of the print.
It's also a Scope Trailer but with 1.85:1 Picture content.
About A Boy an't that bad a film really compared to things like Gosford Bleeding Park!.
Enough, ill be showning 70mm proper films this summer. 2001 is coming to york again but in 70mm not 35mm like last time.
Darren

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want rid of your print of Gosford Park I'd be glad to take it off your hands - Entertainment still won't take a one night booking on it. grr!

Havn't heard anything from P&D though, except for someone using their snipe as a replacement footer on a print of Rat Race (what an awful film!) we had last week. It isn't *that* bad is it?

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been running the greenpeace ad for a couple of weeks at one of my cinemas but it wasn't on front of a film, perhaps the circuit owner had an arrangement with Greenpeace. It's quite good showing a demolition crew smashing into a family's house and then showing how the animals in the forest are getting their habitat smashed up for greed. The figures quoted for forest destrruction are sobering. We should all support these information films.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, you still having problems getting Gosford?! I would have thought by now there would be a few copies lying about. We had to give ours up for a couple of weeks when the great panic was on, but got one eventually a few weeks on. Have you thought about booking for 2-3 shows? It is still doing ok business, though we have moved it to one show daily at the 5pm-ish slot, seems to play well at that time regarding the punters (we call them the 'Sense and Sensibilty' crowd!). I know our local cinema had no problem booking for a 3 day run so try your luck!

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, we book most of our films through an agency (Jay Troy), but due to some historical reason I'm not sure of all our films are booked before the start of term here at York uni so that our magazine with listings in can be printed. At the time (about 4 weeks ago) they were having trouble even getting a 7-day booking for an independent cinema they were booking for, but hopefully Entertainment may repent and take a booking, once it comes out on DVD of course

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,
i suggest you go direct to the distributors yourself, Oak House in Pocklington now do this and get some great deals, They had
'A Beautifull Mind' for a one off show the day it opened as part of there mini film festival, they get most things fairly soon after release, i.e within 6 weeks for most.
Darren

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 04:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The situation with commercials can be sticky.

Basically (explanation for non-UK readers), they're supplied by one of two advertising agencies in the form of a 5-10 minute reel which is changed weekly. Usually, the contract entered into between a cinema and an agency will specify that a cinema may not show any commercials other than the ones supplied by that agency, apart from trailers (i.e. advertisements for feature films).

So in this instance, Pearl and Dean were probably suggesting that to screen a commercial which comes attached to the front of a feature brakes that condition. The question is, how do you define a 'commercial'? Greenpeace would argue that as they're a non-profit organisation and because their film isn't directly publicising a product or service, it doesn't qualify. On the other hand, Pearl and Dean are probably afraid of setting a precedent which might enable commercials to be shown, bypassing the agencies.

My recollection is that these notices cropped up really quite frequently. It was usually leftie political propaganda shorts that did it - I remember a piece on the front of Kundun with the Dalai Lama complaining about how nasty the Chinese are, and an Amnesty International anti-death penalty trailer attached to Dead Man Walking - so this example seems pretty much par for the course.

Quite apart from any objections by Pearl and Dean, I would always cut this crap out if given the choice because (i) it insults the intelligence of an average five year-old, and (ii) these things are likely to offend members of the groups they're targeting. To take the examples above, Chinese people and supporters of the death penalty may well be among your customers.

The Dead Man Walking example was especially stupid, I thought, as the director stressed that the film should be seen as a neutral, sitting-on-the-fence contribution to the debate which is intended to help viewers make up their mind. To have some propaganda, stongly supporting one side of the argument, screened immediately before it destroys the object of the exercise, IMHO.

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren - some of the smaller distributors are fine with taking direct bookings, and until recently we have done. Unfortunately we've found that most of the bigger outfits, Fox, UIP, Columbia, WB (but not BVI or Entertainment) won't take bookings directly and insist we go via a 3rd party - ie. either FilmQuest or Troy Films. Like you say, if the timing is right then they'll usually take bookings within 6 weeks or so of release except for Entertainment who were very reluctant to release either LOTR or Gosford Park to any student operation.

However you can see their point - a one day flat fee booking doesn't exactly bring in the same £££'s as something like LOTR on its opening weekend - their argument being that a print sent out for 1 show effectively makes it unavailable for a week long booking. But when they're saying this 3 months after its release and assuming they had getting on for 1000 prints struck you have to wonder...

Having said that, a couple of the distributors seem to have been approaching campus based cinemas over the past year or so to run preview screenings as an advertising stunt a couple of weeks prior to release, usually with bags o' loot to give away, A beautiful mind being one of them. I guess they're finally seeing that even poor students can make them money

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 06:56 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We book through Film Quest. We had booked LOTR for May 19th. We are still waiting for an answer. Gosford Park is the film we were having as our standby if LOTR was un-avalible. I don't know how we stand at getting Gosford Park.

We run those preview screenings. Such as A Beautifull Mind. The next one is 40 Days and 40 Nights a week on wednesday. They are run by the daily telegraph through a company called Sublime.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 07:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ken Troy still in business? He must be in his 90s by now.

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 08:37 AM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago. However Jay is still battling on doing the bookings and his son Simon is taking care of the books.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: