Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Patton dts70 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Patton dts70
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2002 03:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In the FITA forum, Steve Kraus listed running Patton in dts70 with a mandatory intermission to change discs. He listed the movie as 10 reels. Now I have no idea how long the movie actually is, but could this not have fit on 3 discs and ran non-stop with a dts6-D player? (This is of course, not taking into account that an intermission might be preferable to the patrons.) I'm wondering why dts did not make three discs such that if you wanted to run it with a dts6-D you could load the 3 discs and forget about it, but if you were to run it with a dts-6 you could load up disc A and B and run to your intermission, then exchange disc A for disc C for the second half.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB says the running time for the 1970 release was 170 mins. The DVD says 171 mins.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2002 03:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If that is correct, I see no reason why it would not have fit on 2 discs.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 03:42 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember running it when it was first released. It had 10 reels then, with the intermission at the end of Reel #6. Of course, I ran a 35mm print with mag sound. The 170 minute running time sounds correct, as we had shows scheduled at 1,4,7 & 10. Sometimes the manager would call up and ask to cut out the intermission. There was five minutes of callback music on Reel #7.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does DTS always use the same level of compression? Or could they reduce the compression if they wanted to (requiring more discs)? [speculation]Maybe since it's special-venue they decided to use less compression[/speculation].

Paging Karen Hultgren!

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 04:55 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The compression is never changed from disc to disc or film to film. This is true for feature films released to cinemas.

The reason that PATTON was released on three discs is because the studio wanted to mandate an intermission. Partly to give the audience a break and also to ensure that customers that had DTS-6 (2-drive) units could also play the film. During intermission, the projectionist simply had to take out the 1st set of discs, load the 3rd disc alone, and then cycle power.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But it *could* have fit on 2 discs, right? Is there anything in the discs that would prevent someone from running it straight through on a 3 drawer unit? (Like perhaps treating the C disc as a "single disc feature"?)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely given the equal (mild) compression as Karen has described it six channel sound will take up more space for a given running time than the normal five channel sound. Patton is 171 minutes including a brief entre'acte on the head of R7.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is on the DTS 6D or DTS 6 it is only 5.1 channels not six and Karen will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the 3rd disk is supportable as more of the feature. That is what one of the Bollywood sound people told me as why they had to run disk 1/2 intermission and then disk3

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-29-2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic was 190-odd minutes and came on two disks. Maybe there's an issue with reel breaks, since, as far as I know, each file on the disk contains one full reel's worth of sound. Maybe there's some limitation on splitting reels into two or more separate files which necessitated the use of three disks. Or maybe it's a 5.1 vs. 6 channel issue, as Gordon pointed out.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

I didn't understand...

Doesn't the DTS6D can handle three movie disks at the time??

The movie has been released in three disks to force the theater to have an intermission because they have to change disks (and 70mm dts doesn't have analog backup so that operators cannot stop the player w/o having the sound in the theater gone? Cool...

Karen, it is necessary to cycle power the unit also when the same set of disk is inserted?

Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bollywood film was 210 min I believe that Titanic was the absolute max on a 2 disk film with out an intermission

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, it's DTS/Special Venue which is six full range channels. Track config is L, LC, C, RC, R, Surr. And yes, it plays on a DTS-6D with the SV mod.

If it's true that 190 min Titanic maxed out 2 five channel disks then that means that 2 can hold 190 * 5 = 950 channel-minutes. 950 / 6 channels = about 158 minutes. That's a very rough calculation that ignores various things and may be based on a faulty premise but it tends to support the idea that a 171 minute SV release will require 3 disks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there would be more data for 6 full range channels rather than the 5 on normal dts 5.1 so the disks would have less running time
What were the mods required to the DTS6 for SV

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SV simply requires the addition of an IC supplied by DTS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: