Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sequential vs random cues

Author Topic: sequential vs random cues
Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 11:00 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been helping configure automation at a theatre, and the automation has the ability to use either sequential or random cues. The automation in question is the Big Sky Series 1 - it is basically identical to the Xetron Maxi-12.

I personally prefer random cues (I have worked with both set-ups), but I am interested what other people think.

Steven Gorsky

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 03:24 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by sequential or random cues?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 04:54 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive what Steven is refering to is the type of automation system where the auto expects to see a certain number of cues to perform its actions at the right time (e.g. Cinemation peg-board or Strong CPA-10) as opposed to the type that determines its actions from reading the cues on the film (e.g. Component Engineering TA-10).

In this brave new world where ineperienced operators (I dare not refer to them as "projectionists", yet anyways) are constantly changing prints within a multi-plex daily, at the whim of a manager, it is advisable to have an automation system which will operate flawlessly, regardless of into what cinema they put a print.

This can only be accomplished by the "random" type of automation. There is no hope that most of these people can or will take the time (from my observations, at least) to re-program any type of automation.

Now, if only I could sell them the idea of flat and scope leaders (cued for the proper format for the picture) most of the shows would start off with the correct lens and aperture as well.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 07:40 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider: Sequential cues only use one piece of that reflective tape per cue, random cues use the same amount of tape as the cue number (i.e. cue two = two pieces of tape, cue three = three pieces of tape) Therefor a print with five cues in sequential mode will use five pieces of cue tape whereas the same print in random mode will use 15 pieces of cue tape. And as I recall those little pieces of reflective tape are not very cheap. That said the only way to have different settings for the automation (i.e. scope/flat etc.) for different prints in sequential mode is to get inside the automation and move those little diode pins. However, in random mode you can set up all of the automations the same and be able to do whatever you want just by changing the cues. Also, if a cue falls off or is missed by the cue reader in sequential mode the system will be one cue off for the rest of the show but in random mode it will still get the rest of them normally.
possible cue set up for a Big-Sky Series-1
Cue 1 = show start (c/o open, sound on, house lts mid)
Cue 2 = feature start (house lights low, sound format change?)
Cue 3 = credits (house lts mid
Cue 4 = end show (c/o close, n/s sound)
Cue 5 = Scope
Cue 6 = Flat
Cue 7 = Feature start with a different sound format
Cue 8 = Feature start with a different sound format

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: