Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon: Leave It On...Or Turn It Off? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon: Leave It On...Or Turn It Off?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-27-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that some projector systems are designed to keep the Xenon "warm" to save them from the "perils" of ignition.

But leaving them on full-bore doesn't seem like it would be the greatest idea in EVERY case.

For those who haven't read the first few posts...over in the "Misuse" thread...

I complained that a new projectionist had left a Xenon burning without rolling film. (Forget the fact that she was totally unaware that she had ignited the lamp by accident.)

Jan added that she left hers burning all the time...but she also added that she's running 10 shows a day.

I'm talking about a theatre that has three shows a day...and we were about 4 hours away from showtime when I noticed the lamp burning.

How does one decide when to leave xenons burning and when to extinguish them between shows?

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed at length in another tread. It has its pro's and con's.

Personally, I don't leave them on between shows. Runs the power bills up too high. That's the "Con". I discovered there was no real savings in the long run. It almost balances out.

There is also a possibility that if you leave them on and the operator forgets that the movie is over and does not close the hand douser, the flimsy shutter in some of today's machines could become warped or burned. I don't think anyone wants to blast a flimsy shutter with a 2.5kw or higher lamp, or any lamp for that matter.....

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it on in a multiplex and you are simply asking for trouble. Too many screens, shows ending at different times. Sooner or later there will be a big mistake that will result in a changeover plate or a lens being cooked. Is that worth the savings in bulb life or electricity? Don't think so.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 08:42 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever money was saved on bulbs would go right into the A/C bill, trying to cool a room with 7 xenons running for 16 hours.

I would think you would be risking heat damage to the print if the bulbs were left on continually, even with the little dowser plate or lamphouse shield blocking the light/heat wouldn't there be the matter of heat via conduction? I have trap cooled 3K's and the traps still get pretty hot while running because my ventilation is getting steadily worse. In fact, when the freon went out on the booth A/C we had a little heat damage to a print.

If you were to leave bulbs on all the time then you'd better have really good ventilation, trap coolers, and keep the booth really cold.

John made a good point, what if your dowser cue doesn't work and the lens gets wrecked because your operator was on the phone or dropping the kids off at the pool?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AC in a booth? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA thats a good one...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-28-2002 12:48 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can apply the same logic to your household lighting. Do you leave it on when you leave the house for work? For vacation? For a movie? Probably not. Sure you might save a light bulb by not exposing it to multiple ignitions, but the cost of the electricity bill would far outweight the cost of the bulbs in no time flat.

Take a look at how many amps these zenons run. Calculate that into cost of leaving it on all the time all day versus the cost of POSSIBLY shortening its life by starting it an extra four or five times a day. It just doesnt add up, and besides you wont actually know if you are saving the bulb or not until you wear it out or burn it out. In my experience, I have had bulbs last four weeks and I have had bulbs last 18 months. So it really is up to so many variables, that there would be no need to leave them on all damn day because you MIGHT save a few hours on the bulb, at the cost of astronomical light bills and possible equipment damage.

My advice, turn it off!!!

Dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running changeovers, I leave both on for the duration of the show and between screenings if a lamp will be used within 45 min to an hour otherwise I shut it off. This has gotten me high mileage on the bulbs but at a platter theatre I wouldn't see any reason to alter the normal practice of letting it run for the duration of the show only. One start per two hours or so of use is not so bad.

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 09:34 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 shows a day....large format.....45 minutes per show. 15 minute intermissions. So I am not running 20 hours a day. My venue is a bit different. 7kw bulb. Only one projector. I have seen booths maintained both ways but my theory is think about when a lightbulb in your house ussually burns out...it burns out when you turn it on. The same discussion happens in computer circles with PC techs. Not about bulbs but computers. BTW I leave my computer on 24-7.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all large format theatres leave the lamp lit all day.
Bulb life is greatly extended and usually with far less flicker and other abnormalities.
Current consumption and HVAC issues are really not a pricy issue in the longterm. But it does require that the dowser be closed when the machine is not running. Strong and others offer a motorized dowser option

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-28-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have said that my experience is with platter machines.

On the issue of leaving computers on 24/7, there is much discussion on this. If you do leave it on 24/7, you run a risk of total failure if you suffer a power outage. The reason is that with this practice the contacts on the board will expand so far that during a long power outage, the contraction of the contacts can cause a MB failure, which can also lead to other failures such as HD failure etc. If you leave it on 24/7, make sure you have a battery backup, as most power failures are short term.

Just a thought.

Dave

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-28-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan - I wondered how you managed to have so many shows...large format never occurred to me.

I agree with you...I don't think I've ever seen a household bulb expire while it's already turned on. Always when it's just turned on. So, I see your point.

But I think I'm going to go with shutting them down between shows...longer intermissions here.

BTW, I leave my computers on 24-7 too. I reboot once in a while out of superstition, though.

...and, yes, I have them all on UPS battery backups that offer about 10mins of power.

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To leave it on, or leave it off....that is the question, ha ha!

I do think that it depends on your particular booth and equipment.
In a change-over booth, leave em on, but let them shut off after a show with a multi-plex/platter operation.

Here are some scenarios you may cover:

Think of your lense probles should your change over fail! Also, the bulb heat can cause change-over blades to warp such as the Christie. But Christie has attempted to solve this problem.

I have also seen some small independant houses where the lamphouses were in delipated condition and the lamp house dousers did not do much good! I have also seen some independant houses running platters without any kind of changeover or failsafe assembly!

If you do opt to keep lamps lit, is your "projection" staff intelligent enough to properly look after them?

I guess that the bottom line is that bulb wear can be reduced by keeping them lit for at least 1/2 hr before shut down...that frequent striking will lead to excessive wear, and this is covered in many bulb and lamphouse manuals! But keeping them lit for extra time will also wear them down.

I guess it is just common sense for your particular theater...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 09:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will your post didn't seem to make a lot of sense since it is advocated leaving them lit only if you can safely and properly do so and that is been continously mentioned.
Bottom line if you have the properly trained staff and equipment to do it you will relise lower operational osts if the lamps are left lit and since most places that can do so already do lets leave it at that

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The large format booths that I've been in "usually" have a full time projectionist with no other screens to watch, and are for the most part either experienced or trained in that booth and know how important the presentation is. Not to mention the cost of a replacement film, lens, shutter, etc.... unless the intermission is over an hour long, I instruct them to leave the lamp on.

Rick

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"AC in a booth? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA thats a good one..."

In our local AMC multis the booth is the return air duct... so they get second-hand air conditioning at least.There are filters where the auditorium air comes into the duct/booth but it's a constant battle to keep the equipment (and that plastic strip stuff rolled up on the platters) clean.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: