Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong A-3 Dancer Pin

Author Topic: Strong A-3 Dancer Pin
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2002 04:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screamed like a Banshee to Strong about this, and nothing ever was done.

Problem is, that dancer pin used to keep the dancer Strong and Potts use in their A-3 platter won't keep the dancer pinned while threading.

A real simple fix is:

1. Get yourself a pair of pliers, a file, hacksaw, and an electric drill and a 7/16 wrench.

2. Remove the upper bolt that holds the dancer assy to the tree, and loosen the bottom bolt so you can pull the assy far enough away and use a pair of plyers to remove the "C" clip from the dancer pinning pin.

3. Chuck the pin in an electric drill, and where the orginal "c" clip groove is, use the edge of a file to cut a groove the width of a tree thickness.

4. Use the hacksaw and cut a new "c" clip groove in the pin.

5. Cut one coil off the spring, and put the whole schmooy back together.

Now, when you pin the dancer, it will stay in place while the film is being threaded through the accumulator.

When you are done threading your projector, give the film a slight tug, and the pin will release.

Try it....It will make your day much nicer when you thread your system.

Xetron has done this on their XNR 335 and XNR 535 platters. It makes threading them like a dream. Modifying your A-3's will do the same thing.

Why Strong International has never incorporated that simple fix is beyond me. I hear tons of people complaining about how big a pain in the butt it is to make a fast turn-around because the roller drag on the film will cause the pin to dis-engage itself allowing the dancer to fall.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul...since selling the Potts platter from the year one...I think their feeling is to have the elevator spring pin be light to allow the projector to trip it easily....I have seen operators make a wire safety hook or use a large clothespin to steady the elevator when conditions required such help.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre &Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Orange Potts and old Blue CFS platters didn't need any groove. The dancer was so heavy, it was able to withstand the film roller drag while threading without popping the pin.

But the A-3's - well, that's a different story. Try advancing a long leader through it sometime. It won't do it without popping the pin. Even a stomp on the floor would pop the pin out sometimes.

While threading around the fail-safe, 99% of the time it will be tripped anyway. But that's ok......The objective is already accomplished. A small tug is great insurance.

Even if it the pin did not pop out, it will as soon as the take-up motor is energized.

In 11 years running Strong Platters, I have never heard of someone starting the projector with the pin still engaged. It just does not happen if everything is working properly.

I also give a slight tug with the AW-3 machines to insure the control arm will sense a tension and allow take up at start without having the film drop all over the floor.

If I forget to do that, it makes me feel like a North end of a South-bound horse. Not very impressive when you have a trainee watching!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to love the older hernia elevators
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2002 10:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, that's exactly what they are on the old Orange Potts and Blue CFS machines...

Seems like a crane is needed to lift them sometimes.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 01:28 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I never liked thread the A-3's or AW-3's with the platters engaged and the elevator up. If the payout deck gets spinning too fast you can knock a short film off center. If the operator doesn't catch this you end up with your credits on hanging off the brain. To me its just as easy to give the platter a spin with your hand.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-28-2002 02:53 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, I never had that problem with either the A-3's, or AW-3. If they do, I would suspect you have a timing issue. Using the platter motors, I just thread through the platters, through the guidance rollers with one smooth clean sweep. It cuts down the threading time substancially. Keeps the film off the floor, and turn-around time from start to finish is about 1.5 minutes if that ^&(^%#$%$_)(+!! dancer stays put on the A-3's. It only takes about 20 seconds to thread the Simplex or Christie.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to go to that much trouble if you are having elevator falling trouble with Strong/Potts. Just don't thread the elevator completely when you are intially threading... pull the film into the bottom recieving roller (first AFTER projector) and over the top left (first) elevator roller and under the top right and finally to the desired takeup deck. Lace up the projector, and the last thing you do is go over to the elevator and pull the two loops down around their trolley rollers....That way the film isn't even on the actually elevator trolley until last thing.

....does that make sense?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-29-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Only if you don't have the pins modified.

Too much futzing around = too many possible errors. That is what can happen when you don't thread completely....I have seen my guys wrestle with that damn thing too many times, so I thought I would make it easier for them. Now they like it.

If you ever worked a platter that had provisions for the pin to stay engaged, it'll spoil you.

Once you get used to something being so easy, you'll join the ranks of those who will cuss the platter since the day it was born if it does not have the modification.

When you run a mega-plex, one does not have time to waltz around for two or three extra minutes, especially during tight turn arounds. Every second counts.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul;

I missed your "banshee screaming" somewhere along the way. Was it at me?

I have heard comments on this previously and have noticed this problem myself. I call it an inconvenience but that's easy for me, I'm not dealing with a multiplex on a daily basis.

I have talked with the "Platter Guys" and they are looking into the modification you suggested. Looks minor and easy to implement from my side. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Pat

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-01-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pat.

I know everyone who runs the A-3 will really appreciate it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: