Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do you charge a consulting fee?

Author Topic: Do you charge a consulting fee?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how many of you dealers out there actually charge a consulting fee to do a quote, or to do a site visit? We are considering taking this approach but then crediting the customer that amount if he goes ahead with the job. This would in effect help weed out time wasting customers and if one does end up putting up with them at least you'd get paid for your time spent...or possibly wasted.
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for $100.00,an hour, I'll answer that!!!

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2002 07:24 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Mark. It weeds out the weenies and cheapskates. I've always charged $100/hr for broadcast consulting and nobody's ever complained. Now and then if a client has an easily solved problem, I pop in, fix it and don't charge. Keep 'em happy, keep 'em running and the phone will keep ringing. I consider my clients more than just a source of income and I know they appreciate that. For that price, I always wear a tie.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-26-2002 08:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I see no problem with your approach. We do charge consulting fees for the design and layout of the system. While the initial visit is often on the house (depending on how far away the potential customer is), at some point, time is money.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-26-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I would agree that this is a proper way to run the business. However if the person making the request is a customer for whom you have done a lot of work and buys his supplies from you, I would probably continue giving him free advice and buy him lunch or dinner.

Bob

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK We don't charge anything for the initial contact/consultation/visit whateveryawannacallit. However as said above, time is money, so all design work etc is built into the price of a job.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do always take very good care of our many loyal customers. We do buy them lunch/dinner on occasion, and even a Martini if they want one. There are always time wasters that call you and we were just discussing the best way to weed them out. And if you do charge them a consulting fee and they go through with the job then they would get that back as a credit towards the job.
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-26-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

When you come to New York I will pretend I am your customer and let's go for Martini''s they are better than lunch.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2002 11:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will often charge for design fees that are discounted from the purchase price if we get the order

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark..

I have been involved with several projects and did what I could to help out some small independant theaters....needless to say that Mr. Nice Guy here allowed his brain to be picked for nothing because he thought that he was going to get contracts....from now on, I charge, unless I have a written contract where the consulting fee is figured in!

Also, for anyone who services small independants...make sure that the client has cash up front to pay you for services rendered! I have already been screwed!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-28-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

any chance my former employers are one of those time wasting cheapskates?

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: