Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Returning Trailers

Author Topic: Returning Trailers
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-24-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two attempts at this thread turned into a debate about whether or not to return trailers. I'm hoping we won't be going there again..?

What I'd like to know is this: Which studios' trailers go to the same place and which ones go to unique return addresses?

It would be great if people could post return addresses (umm...for the trailers) but, if that's asking too much, I'll understand.

I've already separated out a gazillion Paramount and Fox trailers because I know that they go to separate places, right?

But what about WB, Disney and Sony? Looks like they all came from TES...Is that right? Do they all go back together?

Also...who pays for shipping? I haven't seen any of those Paramount stickers lately.

These are new and used trailers, many of them still current, or at least in second-run.

They are cluttering up the booths, taking up valuable storage space, so I'd like to get rid of them but I don't want to just toss them. Besides the fact that they don't truly belong to me or the theatre, I just don't want them in my landfill, dammit!

(I am going to hold onto at least one copy of posters/trailers for children's titles, as well as anything that might make a come-back. We've done some rep programming on very rare occasions...mostly family films and I've always thought it would've been great to have trailers/posters for those.)

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor Entertainment SVE
5491 E. Philadelphia St.
Onterio, CA 91761-2807

Technicolor Entertainment SVS
202 Rochester Ave.
Omterio, CA 91761-7809

Buena Vista/National Screen
National Screen SERV
3655 Lenawee Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90016-4310

Right Side Up
20th Century Fox
15071 Keswick St.
Van Nuys, CA 91405-1133

Gage MKTG/20th Century Fox
15071 Keswick St.
Van Nuys, CA 91405-1133

Premier House
21330 Superior St.
Chatsworth, CA 91311-4312

I got all of these addresses off of UPS ARS lables that the studios send with the trailers. You should just be able to stuff the appropriate trailers in a box and slap one of these lables on it and set it out for the UPS deliver guy.

We have a huge stack of lables so I wonder if we have been using them or if we just send back more trailers in a box than they send out.

I send some trailers to a theatre less fortunate than us.

When I worked at a 12-plex, we just threw then trailers away. Most commercial trailers are as usefull as day old newpapers except that you can't wrap fish in them. If they asked, we sent them back. If they didn't we threw them away. When there were Depots in every area, you could just give the trailers to them. They would send back what they were asked to send and throw the rest away, just like they throw away old prints.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian pretty much summed it up for you. Warner bros. used to send out a shipping package with there prints to send trailers back in. I havn't seen one of these in a long time. Unfortunatly also since a lot of trailers are shipped now with prints. You no longer get the UPS lables to use to send them back.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My confusion (and what I was hoping to get answered when I started my "returning trailers" thread) is this: Does it matter which trailer go back to which Technicolor addresses if they are all Technicolor? Why are there three addresses? And what is the difference between Right Side Up and Gage MKTG???

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call there Ken. I just realized that the addresses are the same on those two. Technicolor also has an address in East Rutheford, NJ. Do not have the complete address here with me but I do remember seeing it on those UPS stickers

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2002 01:39 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The East Rutherford address, AFAIK, is only for the Technicolor screen advertising reels.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-25-2002 12:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian thanks for posting those addresses

------------------

~Manny.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only send back trailers that come with prepaid return labels..ie FOX, WB, and Paramount.

Universal is the worst because they send soooo many trailers and don't really care if they get them back or not.

I called Kodak to see if they would be interested in recycling our used trailers but apparently they don't bother unless we are talking about thousands of pounds of trailers.

My advice: since Fox sends a return label per trailer just return all your trailers to Fox, let them deal with it.

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-25-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...that's certainly one way to get free shipping... But I'm not so sure that's the very best approach...What if Fox suddenly stops sending those labels because they're paying too much for the shipping of trailers that don't even belong to them.

I could just see the Fox office cluttered with all these trailers with green and yellow labels. It could become a real hassle for them.

I have this funny image in my head of the staff at Fox/Right Side Up standing there scratching their heads with confounded looks on their faces..."They don't use blue labels? I thought everybody used blue labels..?"

Maybe we could toss trailers into the cans when returning movies...if there's room for them.

------------------

~Manny.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: