Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Track, Does This Make Any Sense?

Author Topic: DTS Track, Does This Make Any Sense?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-21-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS track on our print of Blackhawk Down had the track on the last two frames before the reel splices covered with a piece of white splicing tape cut to cover the DTS track only. Very neatly and obviously done for some reason. The splice was also done with white tape covering two half frames with the little strips touching. This was at every reel splice. Does this make sense to anybody? The print was otherwise in pretty good condition.

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2002 02:25 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the advantages of this tape.

Once we thought to put a piece of tape on DTS track for few meters before intermission since DTS play until the end of track and we didn't have an automation to pulse a mute or another format.

But two frame before and after... I really can't see what can change for DTS!

Bye
Antonio

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS track?? That's quite narrow. Could it be someones method of marking splices?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-22-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt worry about it. From what i gather, DTS will drop out to backup only when the timecode is unreadable for 3-6 consecutive seconds.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 04:36 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the guy have made it would try to have DTS to drop out... He would try to demonstrate that DTS is undroppable!

Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS is designed to track any size edit and, when timecode is lost, it will freewheel for up to 4 seconds without defaulting. Putting white tape over 2 frames won't do anything. I have no idea why someone would do that.

Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: