Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Finally - I'm a projectionist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Finally - I'm a projectionist
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in a little less than two weeks I will be leaving the manager/operator scene behind at my current theater to join the projection staff at the new 16-plex that is opening in my town in 3 weeks. Finally, I'm a projetionist! No more running up and down the stairs all night!

Our projectors are Kinoton. I don't know the model number, but I'll post all that stuff as soon as I find out. I know many of you love Kinoton and believe they are the best. I am currently using the FP-23C. I like it. I took a close look at the new theater's projectors, and they look like they thread the exact same way. So at least I'm familliar with the projectors.

The lamphouses and platter, on the other hand, are a different story. Big Sky. I've never used any of their equipment. Heck, I didn't even know they made platters! Any tips for me? Again, I'll post model numbers when I find out.

Wish me luck!

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-13-2002 12:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratualtions, Ken.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 02:05 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulation KEN, You Made it !!! I was a projectionist for 15-years before going technical 21 years ago & enjoyed every minute of those years...enjoy your new postion & the best of luck to you..

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-13-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Ken. That new 16-plex will be in good hands.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Ken! It'll be good to have another Mulitplex in the hands of someone who cares about presentation. Good luck!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-13-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For real! It's good to know that there's another set of theatres in good hands.

Don't molest the Xenon bulbs!

------------------
And, hey! Let's be careful out there.

~Manny.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys! However, all the other projectionists have more experience than I do, and I'm the only one that the GM doesn't know. But everyone there cares about good presentation, not just me. That's what I like about it.

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
As a user of Kinoton,Philips,Norelco products, you are dealing with top-notch equipment, I've seen the Big Sky Consoles instaled here in a few new theatres, they are quite good, Irem power supply integrated, and they give good light, keep us posted!

------------------

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-13-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to be impressed by the Big Sky platters. The P-series uses brains with those stupid greyscale stickers to indicate where the payout arm is. Inserting and removing the brains mars up the sticker, rendering it useless. In the first three months, we also replaced at least half of the brains for one reason or another.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Ken. Just remember, any time you have a question or problem with a Kinoton product, feel free to call Steve Guttag at work, on the road, or at home 24 hours a day. He'll take care of you.

Beware of the Big Sky platter. They claim it is "brain-wrap proof", but that is a lie! Ian proved this at ShoWest while they were running a film.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-13-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Ken! Sounds like you've gotten on with a good company. May you enjoy many miles of "film done right."

Hope nobody minds if I ride on this thread too. After 10 months of under-employment and eight years away from the craft, I am a projectionist once again, also at a company that uses Kinoton equipment (KP60D)--Crown Theatres. Our new 14-plex opens at Neonopolis here on May 2nd. Got off to a bit of a rough start by breaking my ankle on my first day (!) but it looks like I will survive to help see the new place off to a good start. BTW we're using the Big Sky platters too, as does the Brenden Palms 14 here.

Cheers!

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
Staff Projectionist, Crown Neonopolis 14
"Otaku wa tsurai yo" <-- Yeah I know, bad pun. Sue me.
It's tough being a fan!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of youse guys. Paul, I would say "break a leg" but you might take me literally.

Ian!, dint yo mamma tell you not to lean on your platter?! Busting big sky guys chops while playin da fool. That's like saying film-guard works on sandpaper. If I were that platter, I'd be sayin' "Hey you big lug! Get offa me!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-14-2002 08:37 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, congratulations Ken! It's good to be "just" a projectionist, since it's sometimes hard to have pride in your job if you also have to clean vomit off the floor... !

We are also first time users of Kinoton PK60D projectors and Big Sky platters. BL&S kindly lent us a PK60D for a month, and Big Sky lent us a platter for two months. We liked what we saw, so hopefully this will become our "standard" equipment.

Sorry about your ankle, Paul! (He twisted it while helping move a 900lb console into position.) But look at it this way; you've had your on-job accident, so nothing else should happen for a long time!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Congratulations Paul! Here's hoping your new scheduleis to your liking and still permits you time to write your excellent posts!

All My Best Wishes Ken, on upgrading to a full-craft position!
(Can you now unstick that projection camp Xenon?)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-15-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, congratualtions. They are getting an asset. Best of luck. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Frank

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: