Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sealing Simplexes

Author Topic: Sealing Simplexes
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 11:47 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me of your experiences with attempts at sealing leaky Simplex proejctors. I have got two that dump out oil as fast as you put it in.

Mark mentioned a fix for a leak out of the oil fill tube, are there any fixes for around the main drive shaft, or vertical shaft? Should I invest in a seal kit or do they not work? Would silicone seal up all the leaks, even around shafts?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-12-2002 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not if the oil is leaking directly through a porous casting.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found recently a few heads that after years of neglect(no oil changes) that the rear main shaft seal has actually scored the belt pulley. It looks like years of dirt buildup and oil in this area has combined to form a kind of cutting paste. It has actually cut a groove deep enough to allow oil to pour past the seal. It is to the point that the pulley needs to be replaced as well as the seal. We didn't have any of the pulleys in stock, so what I was able to do as a temporary fix was to remove the seal clean the entire area, then reinstall the seal so that it is slightly further inboard than normal.(I use a socket to gently tap it in) This allows the seal to ride on an area of the pulley that is not scored. You have to be carefull not to push the seal in too far or it will hit the bearing. The result is a projector that used to have to be topped up daily now running virtually dry! Of course this is only a temporary fix. Both the seal and the pulley will have to be replaced, but at least now the operators don't have to worry about slipping in the huge puddle of oil that used to be under this machine.
I am willing to bet that if you check your main drive pulley, this is what you will find.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: