Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Minimum Sound Spec to Run Star Wars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Minimum Sound Spec to Run Star Wars
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 02:33 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought i had heard of this somewhere?
I heard that SR was the minimum. But i heard frome someone (not connected to the cinema business) that they NEED THX.

I was assuming this was untrue since alot of cinemas dont have any THX screens. Personally if it is only THX houses who can show it, I would have to jump on a coach or a train to find a THX cinema.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No way EpII will only be released to THX theaters. They are a dying breed. The SR thing is a very good idea though, and something that I do hope they stand their ground on. Something like EpII if it must be played in analog should only be in SR.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course, if I may be so bold as to speak for Steve G., the Cat. 222 SR/A card does not count as real SR!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 03:40 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that THX only requirement is a joke. There's a multiplex by my place that played Episode I that ISN'T THX certified, yet the management there seems to think it is. They don't show any THX trailers, no ads in the paper, or any THX posters. The theater isn't listed on THX's website also. But most definally they will be playing Episode II for some reason.

The Requirement is a joke.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Episode I came out they said they were only going to open it at theatres that met their qualifications for good sound and image.

But when it came down to the economics of the thing, they opened it in 4100 screens across the US and it ended up in over 1/3 of the total theatres in the country. So they ended up opening it without regard to image or sound quality.

Episode II will be no different. They need to make as much money as possible in as short a time as possible. So look for that 4100-screen release number to be broken.

The only reason that number will not be broken is if the exhibitors that took a bath on the first release get wise and refuse the terms for the second release. But seeing as it is a sure bet to make lots of concession money for anyone who opens it, don't bet on a strong exhibitor backlash.

(Rumor)
I heard that the theatres that didn't get Episode I made less money that summer but were more profitable due to the unusually stiff terms for Star Wars.

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 08:17 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I know the two circunstances to show Episode 1 here in Spain were:

-Digital sound (no matter what)
-Minimum of 3 weeks (I´m not sure about the time) without moving the film to another screen.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 08:27 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--and in litlle Denmark the distributor claimed, that his chosen 77 first-run theatres had been listed to Mr Lucas' office for OK.
Same distributor made us all stand up one hour before trade preview on LOTR for "security check". Noone was checked, eccept those two journalists sneeking in.

BIG joker

-But even i look forward to may, 16th - one minute past midnight.

May the freaks come to us once more.

/ p.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-09-2002 10:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"All theatres running Episode II must be equipped with at least mono sound."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for Lawton, OK, I am hoping very strongly that THX equipped theaters will at least get a priority in booking status. I'll be pissed off beyond belief if the Carmike 8 loses a "Star Wars" print to the old crappy Hollywood/Wallace Cache 8 theater down the street. The new Central Mall theater is a joke as well, but is a far away enough distance to keep from negating the Carmike theater from getting a film print.

If I cannot see "Episode II" on that one THX screen in the Carmike theater (actually the place really has two, but only one that continues to be recertified) then I will be faced with having to drive hundreds of miles down to Dallas to find a theater worth a damn. IMHO, the Carmike 8 here is better than any other theater in Oklahoma. The projection is better and sound quality is a lot better. The only thing the other guys in OKC and Tulsa have over it is stadium seating.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-09-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will let anyone and everyone have a print of the damn thing. I do not think that exhibitors will agree to the terms like the last one. Many multiplexes got screwed holding five prints of a useless movie, having to pass on greater stuff.

This time around, there is a lot of great stuff that could very well kick star wars around. If an exhibitor wants to forget the star wars thing, they can and can get away with it too. Most people arent going to mind.

The theaters that did not carry the film, did make a higher profit than those that carried it. Most of the ones that carried it ended up busted out within a year. The terms were too harsh.

Dave

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-09-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had it my way, I wouldn't even book the movie in our theaters. I think it is going to be a flop. That's just my personal opinion.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 05:26 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When EP1 came out here, we heard that it will only go to DLP sites, then that changed to film, but must have Dolby SR.D EX, then SR.D, then SR......

It was playing on mono kit in the deepest darkest parts of the country when release day came.

Despite all the noise made by Lucasfilm, if you are going to pay the reantal and astronomical %age, they won't care what the sounds is. One thing counts really, $$.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 05:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the whole, isn't it nice that a film maker actually does care about presentation of his (video)film, rumor or not?

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter

www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 07:44 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the dollars go back to Lucasfilm, I don't think they would object to 16mm projected on a bedsheet.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 09:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but I believe all presentation-aware film makers like Kubrick, Stone, Lucas and Zemeckis to name a few, are convinced they will make MORE money in the shortest possible time, if presentations are good. They have to believe that, and why shouldn't they, since they all put so much effort in making the films?

Magna did the same thing when they banned popcorn during "Oklahoma! 50 years ago at the Rivoli in NY.

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: