Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemark, SR-D, and Subwoofers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinemark, SR-D, and Subwoofers
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 01:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that the local Cinemark's SR-D houses have very weak .1 LFE. Basically no deep bass at all. Yet their DTS houses seem much better in low-end performance. Brad noted the same thing in another thread (might be the one about Cinemark policy trailers). A Cinemark engineer says all systems are working to "industry standards" and are checked regularly (surprise!), also that competitors may be "goosing" their systems, implying they are NOT properly configured.

How can there possibly be that big a difference in SR-D vs. DTS unless something is wrong? Or am I smoking crack? Obviously Cinemark believes the latter.

[Of course my real agenda with this post is that somebody from Cinemark will read it, recognize the problem, and know what to do about it.]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 04:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could also be that one or more of the subwoofs have been stolen in the Dolby Digital houses.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or blown out because of the way they are hooked up...but I am not sure about this purticular theater. Some of them have all three systems in the same rack. some have only two of them and others have just one of a purticular brand.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's weird is it seems like all the SR-D houses there have no subwoofer action, but the same location's DTS houses all definitely do have working subs. The difference is very noticeable.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I set up a 35mm house, but if I remember correctly: when you set the levels on DTS, you set the Sub level +10db. I think the same goes for SRD. I remember setting the levels in the CP500 that the sub output was +10DB also.

It's been awhile , please correct me if I'm wrong,
Rick

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-09-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

What was the "host processor" to the Dolby digital houses or was it a CP-500/CP-650?

Likewise, what was the host processor for the DTS or was it the DTS-6AD

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what is happening with some of those Dolby Digital equipped Cinemark auditoriums is just an odd coincidence. I have been in plenty of DTS-equipped Cinemark houses that greatly lacked deep bass. I suspected blown subwoofers or a completely out of tune sound system. I watched "Rush Hour 2" at a new Cinemark/IMAX 3D build in Colorado Springs and was very disappointed by the sound quality. I could see through the port glass and tell the DTS player was working, but the audio was really no better than an average analog presentation.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe Darryl Spicer knows. It would be the standard Cinemark package & configuration as of early 1999. They might be running Ultra-Stereo throughout. I could ask the GM except I think I'm on his sh*t list now.

I am absolutely convinced I'm right though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-09-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
David, the Cinemark Webb Chapel is exactly like what you describe, although I'm not sure why the pattern is always that way. (Then again I've not heard a good sounding Cinemark theater since the days when they supported THX.) SRD runs through CP500s at all new Cinemark locations and CP65s on older installations. DTS always runs through Ultra Stereo.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 10:57 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All we run down here is DTS and they all seem to put out good sub bass. But like I said earlier. This theater may be using a Combo digital set up. I will ask our tech if I think about it the next time I see him.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 01:04 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SMPTE standard (RP200)states that the digital subwoofer level be set for 10dB in-band gain (as compared to the center channel). All digital systems can and should be set to this standard.

Karen at DTS

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, the good news for you is the DTS-equipped houses sound pretty good.

Darryl, by "combo digital" I assume you mean capable of multiple digital formats on the same screen? That's not what they have at this theater. Each is either DTS or SR-D, but not both, split roughly 50-50 among the 17 auditoriums.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 04-10-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they need to install their Cinemark Super Dee Duper Mega Digital Sound System.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peering in through the booth glass in a DTS house, it looks like a DTS 6D player and an Ultra-Stereo JS-200 processor. From a distance anyway. That's all I could identify. The surround speakers are JBL, not sure of the model but they look like the ones commonly found in many theaters, including THX-certified.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-10-2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be a jsx 1000 wich is a 200 at the max capability. yeah that was what I was refering to when I said Combo. one thing you have to remember about DTS is that the subbass channel is carried over with the surround channels. So the bass can be present some in the surrounds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: