Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » V guides for Peerless.

Author Topic: V guides for Peerless.
Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 06:02 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Dose anybody have the dimensions for V guides for Peerless Carbon arc.

Also can you tell me what material the neg V guide is made of (It looks like phosphor bronze) & why.

I am trying to produce 6 mm Neg. & 7 mm Pos.

Any information will help. Also if anybody has a manual it would help.

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-08-2002 07:13 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

There is a document in the manual section called National Carbon Bulletins. This is a good starting point. I have a pair of lamps that burn 6's and 7's, what do you need measured?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 02:59 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of english built Peerless lamps I will un bury them and let you know.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 04:00 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan:

Might be worth giving George Taylor a call at Lenco Lighting, who also do xenon conversions and kits. I do know that George did have a collection of Peerless carbon arc mirrors a couple of years ago, so there might be some good condition V guides as well.

The Plaza Oxted’s Peerless carbon arcs are being replaced with xenons, there could be your catalogue.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 04:17 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest (sorry Jonathon I can't help as I've no carbon burners to hand). How may UK cinemas are still using Carbon?? In my whole service patch I've got two, both in the Newcastle / Co. Durham area. There were two across the West side of the border, one is now xenon, the other closed.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 06:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean you service the Tyneside?

If so, what's the other one in Newcastle/Co. Durham?

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would'nt bet my life on it but I believe the metal used was just cold rolled steel. I had a cousin who was a metalurgest (sp.)/ machinist make me up some years ago. He was a nut and made them out of some expensive metal that had better heat and current characteristics.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 10:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Positive one is rolled steel but the original negative one, I'm fairly sure is not.

To be honest it has been so long since I have worked on a carbon arc that it's all a bit cloudy.

(Too many late nights)

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 12:25 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From memory, Peerless Magnarcs had a vertical bar with a V notch that positioned the positive carbon. It was made of "german silver" which is neither German nor silver, but is called "alpaca" on continental Europe. It's an alloy of nickel, I think, with rustproof and high conductivity characteristics.
Both positive and negative carbon jaws were sand-cast of what appeared to be copper-bronze or brass, from the orange-yellow color.
The negative V-guide was of similar color.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I don't service the Tyneside, it's just 'on my patch' so to speak. I believe George Coats (sorry I can't remember the right spelling) servies that place. The Forum in Hexham, which I do service has a Magnarc burning carbon on Nș2 projector, Nș1 has been xenonised. The carbon machine is used for ads and trailers with long features, changing over to Nș1 which has a Westrex 5035 Film Carrier Assembly sat behind it. The the best of my knowledge, that's all the carbon still in use round these parts.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-09-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Tyneside has carbons in both projectors, both screens. It's the only cinema I know of apart from the NFT which has one projectionist per auditorium on duty at all times. Needless to say you get what you pay for, and as a result the presentation is stunning.

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 03:52 AM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard your memory serves you well.
Just took a good look at mine and your description is about right.
jonathon do you still need those dimensions. If so email me and quote the parts numbers as in the magnarc manual from the manuals section.
My babies are a type F but most things look the same.
The -ve guide is most likely copper-bronze as it is cast with the V guide and bolt holes to the slide assembly as well as the clamp for electrickery feed.(a bit costly to machine for a production run)
If you had to make one from scratch .... weell how good are you on machinery. I spose mild steel would do.

The +ve on mine have been replaced wiyh what looks like 1/4" x 3/4 rolled steel strap wiyh a V cut into top.

They were running 6's & 7's but now I run 7 & 8 at 60 amps. Seem to go all right for the Bollywood stuff I show every couple of weeks.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 06:19 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually one operator per screen is not that uncommon. At least in the art house/RFT world. For example, the Filmhouse in Edinburgh runs usually with 2 operators, serving 3 screens (two booths are close together and linked), but often I'v been in there and found three or more projectionists on duty. The Dundee Contemporary Arts Centre often also has a higher than average ratio of projectionists to screens. Both of those places have platters and change over. In Filmhouse, screen 3 is change over only.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: