Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A new booth friend

Author Topic: A new booth friend
Michael Wohlford
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Michael Wohlford   Email Michael Wohlford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know alcohol is everyone's best friend in the booth. But I made a new friend. I'm not sure if some of you already have this friend or not, but I suggest you make friends with him. His name is Tuner Cleaner. He is from Radio Shack and he costs about $8 or so. He is awesome. You spray him on any electrical contact with corrosion or something that needs to be cleaned and wait about 10-15 for it to dry, and your in business. (make sure the power is off, duh) I was having some problems with my format card on our processor. You take it out and put it back in, it works again, but then it starts clunking out. I sprayed some cleaner on the teeth of the card and the slot on the mainboard, waited 10 minutes, then no problems ever since. It has some kinds of acids in it that eat corrosion and stuff. You can spray this stuff on any card in your processor to get it clean. You can use it anywhere. Tell me what any of you that has used this stuff before think. If you have used it, is it all as good as I say?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do NOT use "teaser" subject headers for your threads. This is very clearly explained in the FAQ/RULES, of which you need to read before you post further.

This should have been titled "tuner cleaner" or something similar. Titling it "a new booth friend" is confusing and only provides problems down the road when others are searching the archives and wastes people's time who do not remember what that cutesy title really is referring to.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-07-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like any old can of electronic parts cleaner.

And remember, that the only thing allowed to be cute here is Joe Redifer.

Dave

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2002 10:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to watch out for on various contact cleaners, tuner or what ever the variety is if they "Eat" polystyrene. If they do you will get some on a poly cap or button and get some goo as a result. Don't go spraying willy nilly. My personal experience with contact cleaners is that they are temporary solutions that only buy some time. Some cleaners are better than others though. We used to get some really good stuff from Chemtronics that got banned by the evil EPA.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, altering the title of this thread but not changing a single word of the text would not have had any effect in the loss of "cutesiness", assuming that is even a real word. Nowhere in the FAQ document does it say only Joe can have fun here, but it does clearly state teaser titles are not permitted.

BTW I must agree with Steve, the use of contact cleaners are temporary fixes and should only be used in emergency situations to get your shows back on screen. (Just look at the hatred that comes forth whenever someone mentions using WD-40 to fix something, even though we all know how effective WD-40 can be when repairing dts drives. )

Darryl has just opened a thread titled "tv tunner cleaner and it's effective uses" so I'm closing this one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: