Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS malfunction

Author Topic: DTS malfunction
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 07:05 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the system seems to work perfectly (old DTS 6). All the leds (timecode, cd rom,etc.) are working but at any moment the green light stops flashing, but working, and the auditorium becomes with no sound and the processor don´t switch to SR ´cause there is digital signal present.

My technician send the unit to Kelonik in Barcelona to fix up but it has the same trouble.

Any idea??????

Un saludo.

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Miguel,

What means "the green light stop flashing"? The green light (DIGITAL) doesn't have to flash! Do you mean "system" light? Or do you mean the green light on the reader head?

Or do you mean that suddenly your "system" light stop flashing but "timecode" and "CD-ROM" and "digital" led stays on?

If this is correct, I believe that your DTS6 has some hardware fail. Karen will be more useful!

Ciao
Antonio

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame I didn't see this earlier! I was in Madrid a few hour ago! I was finishing off an install at the new Warner Bros theme park outside Madrid, could have popped in on my tour of Spain to get back to the airport....

I'm with Antonio on this. Karen is the resident DTS guru!

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for my lack of english knowledge. What I mean is that all the system lights are working (the red ones, timecode, system, cdrom... and the green one, digital) which means that there is a digital signal but there is no sound.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-07-2002 09:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a bad disk drive.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of processor? Have you checked to make sure a cable has not come unplugged?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 06:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

Do you mean that during these malfuncion you have:
- SYSTEM *blinking*
- TIMECODE on
- CDROM on
- DIGITAL on
??

Surely Bad drives can make the unit become crazy (in my experience a bad drives caused the unit to continuously switch SR/DTS/SR/DTS/SR/DTS. Once I found the unit with "TIMECODE" and "CD-ROM" led on _but_ System not blinking (and CP switched to SR).

It is strange that you found DIGITAL on without sound in the auditorium.

Do the unit have this fail in the same point of the movie? Do the unit have this fail while playing the same disk?

If the fail isn't in the same point of movie/disk, I would try to open the unit and check that all cards/cable are full connected.

After that I would have it serviced!

If the fail occours always on the same disk it could be a bad drive.
If the fail occours always on the same point of a specific movie it could be a bad print.

Let us know!

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 11:58 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

The SYSTEM light has to flash or the player will not play.

When the player is working properly, the SYSTEM light will flash and the TIMECODE, CD-ROM, and DIGITAL lights will be on. The TIMECODE light should not blink when timecode is read. It should be on steady.

Is your SYSTEM light flashing?

Is the TIMECODE light on steady? (an occassional blink is OK)

Please give more information on what lights are working and which are not.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all the lights are blinking then check the connection from the DTS player to the cinema processor. Be sure all cables are plugged in and pushed down into their connectors.

Use a DTS Setup disc (DS1 or DS3) to verify the player is sending the correct pluses to the cinema processor and that it is also sending digital sound to all the channel inputs. The setup disc will check the digital pulse and the analog pulses.

Have the theater tell you which lights are not working when the sound goes out. The player should always revert to analog whenever the player has a problem. If that is not happening, it should go in for repair.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Karen, and everybody, for the answering. The fact is that now I´m working in another multiplex of the company so all I know about the problem is told to me (not seen) by other colleagues. In a few days I´ll take a look by myself because I´m very interested this screen works properly ´cause is the only THX certified screen of the company and sounds great and I´m not going to tolerate to hear and see Panic Room or Attack of the Clones in SR.

In the other hand in this forum I´ve read about the DTS empirical test discs but neither my technician here in Valencia (he works for Kelonik, a Barcelona based company)or any of my colleagues have it.
Can I buy a disc set through you?.

Thanks again and when I have more information I´ll be back...

Un saludo.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

Please send me an email and I'll have a disc sent to you free of charge.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: