Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using an oscilloscope to measure AC line noise?

Author Topic: Using an oscilloscope to measure AC line noise?
Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am seeking advice on using a 20Mhz oscilloscope to get an idea of AC line conditions before and after an AC conditioner. Really all I'd like to see is if the thing is doing me any good. Any ideas? Can I measure ground and neutral noise? Thanks for any input.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-07-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would wonder how you would see transient events (that is, momentary and non-repetitive) lasting only microseconds unless your scope was of the capture type.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2002 05:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right...normally a line conditioner may be as simple as something that has capacitors arranged in a Pi configuration (one across the line and one on each leg to ground). Better ones also have MOVs to clamp any voltage exceeding the MOVs rating (surge supression). The best ones work by providing a high impedance to the spike yet don't affect normal operation.

I suppose that if you had something like a UPS with pure sine-wave output (or a motor-generator set up) you could see an improvement if your normal input line is crap.

We use Tripplite's IBAR-12 surge-suppressor on all of our racks (rack mount with 12 protected outlets, including two in front for test equipment). I don't think we have had ANY digital processors fail that have been plugged into them (card failure) that were not manufacturing defects (failed within the first 90 days of installation, ticking sounds in the Cat. 675A...etc). Now we have had a theatre with CP-500s reset 6 units out of 8 to factory defaults after the power in the the theatre repeatedly reset itself over a short period of time (seconds). Mark G will probably chime in here. This was not a power surge though.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-07-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some relatively inexpensive data acquisition products (a circuirt board with software that is used with a PC.) There are ones that will "capture" line voltages and store what it sees for you to look at later. "Relatively inexpensive" still means $600-$800, though there may be some stripped down products.

You could only use the scope if the noise was constant, and "A-B" the input to the AC conditioner with the output. But, most AC conditioners are meant to stop spikes and other transitory AC noise problems lasting a few hundred milli-seconds.

I guess the only good test of that AC conditioner is to see if the problems you bought it for all go away.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-07-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost wonder if a spectrum analyzer would be a better choice, it would be easier to see the spikes, something used in RF service. I doubt that a RTA would do the job.

just a thought

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, a spectrum analyzer is only good on an RF signal that is fairly continuous. I use one frequently to set the proper levels between aural and visual carriers on TV modulators. You'd only really be able to diagnose transients or broadband noise if that noise was continuous enough to be displayed and if it had definite frequency components, otherwise you'd just see some spikes that wouldn't tell you much. A scope coupled to the power line would tell you more, but you'd have to be constantly looking at it to detect a transient problem. What you need is a power line monitor. We had a nasty problem once with a 50Kw FM transmitter that kept going goofy every day at around the same time and we couldn't figure out what was going on. When we put a recording power line monitor at the site, we were able to trace the problem to a crappy motor on a freight elevator in the building that was pulling all three phases down when it started up, dumping the transmitter. There are digital devices now that will constantly record the lines and then show you a readout later.Changes in voltage, line frequency or current and ambient spikes show up very clearly.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the original question, which I seem to have lost sight of, yes...you'd be able to see the difference between the input and the output on a dual trace scope. Ground or neutral noise? Well, you won't see anything on a scope if you connect the probe to the ground connector...you'll just end up with a dead short. That noise is relative to the waveform, so it will show up in the waveform itself. Use small coils of wire wrapped around the input and output lines and hook 'em up to the scope inputs. You'll see the "before" and "after" pictures on the screen.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my Electronics experience with Communications systems and dispatch centers I have came to the conclusion to assume all AC Power is dirty and to go ahead and add Filter/Backup to CPU based installations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: