Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cat 700-701 improved or not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cat 700-701 improved or not?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 01:44 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the use of the LED on the 701, are there any improvements that would make the 701 a better choice?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is real easy, the Cat. 700 is the better choice. The CCD really wants more than the red light. If you look at what the DD decoder is seeing under red light vs white light it is having much more trouble with the red light.

To prove it to yourself, use the DRAS10 program (DOS version) and hook it up to a cat 700 and press "H" for the quick histogram function...look at the right hump...it will flatten off at the top. The right hump is the distribution of what the decoder thinks are "1s" or clear bits...

Now do the same experiment with a red light system, the right hump never peaks and the ability of the system to decern a 1 from a 0 is diminished.

Then compare error numbers from a Cat 700 to a Cat. 701...the Cat 700 should (or can be made) to out perform the Cat. 701 everytime in the categories of focus and error rating.

Next comes service...the Cat. 700 uses a lamp that can be had for under $20 and is user changable. The Cat 701 uses an LED that can be had for a little under $100 and is only changeable by a service technican with the appropriate test equipment.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-06-2002 11:13 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see what people's big bitch with cat 700's is. I like them, plus, you dont have to sink $100 on a new LED when it decides to die. But then again, I do tend to prefer the analog world. some have said they track better, but I dont know. Greg, are you going DD now?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is most SR-D high-magenta (or equiv.)? Is that going to change, and will that affect this?

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I agree with Steve on this one. White light SRD readers can always outperform red led SRD readers. I prefer the 701 for one reason over the others, it is the most lightweight (but this is only of importance when you have a stack of penthouses and weight starts to become an issue). For all other applications, the 700 is the superior reader...but is that the best? Of course not. Dolby's earlier cat699 reader outperforms the 700 series readers. So my rule of thumb, the older the better! I've got a theater that has been running with the same lamps in their 699 and 700 readers for 2 solid years now, and they still track 0-1s all the time. At $20 a pop for new lamps, this is a non-issue.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a CAT 700 in one of our theaters, and it was virtually trouble-free since the day I put it in.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 03:42 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

quote:
look at the right hump...it will flatten off at the top.

Are you saying the right hump doesn't peak with the Cat 700? Is this something observable in DRAS for Windows?

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-07-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher...

Please re-read...the Cat. 700 will have it's hump flatten off (if the intensity of the lamp is properly set) whereas the Cat. 701 can not have it's hump flatten off (increasing the red light intensity will cause the CCD to saturate).

WinDras is not as good to look at this display. The Quick Histogram function is not enabled, at this time. The histogram does come up and is updated periodically, but not like if it is given full time and attention. Believe it or not, if you know what you are looking for, you can optimise the light intensity (red or white) looking at the quick histogram without an O'scope.

Steve

------------------

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between the 699 and 700?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Greg, are you going DD now?"
Josh
It depends on how inexpensively I can do it. (I'm sooo cheap)

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-07-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>What's the difference between the 699 and 700?<<

The Cat 700 has a built-in power supply.

The 699's power supply is in a rack-mounted unit.

The 699 also has a little fan in it to cool the bulb (which the 700 should have kept using IMO)

The 699 uses a different bulb than the 700.

Otherwise they function the same.

-Aaron

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>700 has built-in power-supply<
Yep, -and that has been the only trouble-maker in this house, due to
bad connections inside. ("Don't open Yourself - call for help !!)

Like Greg, i have to pay the bills myself, and therefore sterted DD on one projector only in 1995. -When letting projector 2 run along in 1998, the message was, that the 700 was no more made, but the 701 was just as good. -What should i think/know/do ??

Thats why i've got one of each, running now for 3½ years, no hearable difference, but with more drop-outs on 700 than on 701, when running repertoire prints with tape and bad splices and so on...

Besides, -my 701 has rollers for 35 mm only, allowing no real film bypass. -Is that standard ? The "old" 700 has 70mm rollers.

Per

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the part number, but I had to order the 70mm rollers from Dolby to convert my 701s for 70mm bypass operation. It is very easy to do and as I understand it, Dolby didn't bother putting the 35/70 rollers on in the first place because 99% of all installations do not need them and that helped to keep the price down.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-07-2002 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,

Your Cat. 700 can be made to run and track better than the Cat. 701 without doubt.

There is a new reader in the penthouse fold by Bay Area Cinema Products and distributed by USL. It is the lowest cost of new penthouses and competes with basement readers in cost. It also doesn't use any power supply but rather uses the power already supplied to the CCD to drive it's LED.

The Cat. 699 was a machined penthouse rather than the current cast varieties. Aside from having the aforementioned 35/70 bypass rollers. It also had a spring loaded guide roller. My chief complaint with it was that the flywheel was not as massive as it should have been (corrected in the Cat. 700 and later).

If you have a Cat. 701, you might want to solder the connection that feed the EPT lamp's power wires to the power supply. The Molex connector has been known to overheat and fail.

Steve

------------------

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running my cat. 700 for a couple of years now with no problem. Granted it's in my home screening room and I don't run that much film through it. I would say though that a FRESH bulb is imperative. I had a bulb that to the naked eye was fine but it started crystalizing and threw off the reading. Once I changed the bulb it was like magic... everything was fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: